Recommend me a Bow for deer hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A5Sooner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I want to give archery a try this year. I'm tired of my brother being out in the woods weeks ahead of me. I've shot a bow a few times so I'm very amateur. I would like to have a decent setup. I've looked through the classifieds here and only found one I liked but it was already sold. Thinking about going to h&h and heartland outdoors for a test drive or two. Anybody have any recommendations or anything to definitely stay away from? I really don't know how much a great setup would cost but I don't mind spending $300. Not much more than $300 though. Anything decent I could get for that?

Pretty much in the same position...thanks for asking the question.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I appreciate all the advice. I really didn't mean for this to be a "wanting to buy" thread but thanks for all the offers. I guess it was wishful thinking to find something decent for $300. I'm going to buy new and I'll just have to put off my SBR until deer season is over.

Thanks dubs! Did you ever get an acog?

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The get what you want, and make sure it fits, info is spot on. That said, in my humble opinion, you probably shouldn't be bowhunting this fall. You are less than 2 months away from opening day. And unless you have some past experience with archery gear, you won't be ready in time. There's a lot more too it than just shooting the bow. And it's an entirely different game than rifle hunting.

When you can hit a 6 inch pie plate, every single shot at whatever distances you plan to hunt from, then you're about ready.

My suggestion, take it for what it's worth, get the bow and equipment, start practicing from hunting positions, and read/watch everything you can get your hands on about bowhunting.

And unless you know exactly what to look for in a bow, never buy from a pawn shop or any other store that doesn't have an archery pro there to assist you. Once you are skilled, then you can do such things on your own.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would never tell somebody not to hunt. How are they ever going to learn if they don't get out and do it? I've never learned much from a DVD on how to coyote hunt but I like to think I'm pretty good at it, I've learned the most from failed attempts if nothing else. Watching a DVD or reading a magazine are good ways to get interested but experience can't be learned that way. I don't care if opening day is tomorrow. If I buy a bow, I'm going to use it. I had never hunted with a muzzle loader before but when my brother went out of town I grabbed his and killled a 150 inch buck. Good thing I didn't stay home because I had never shot a muzzle loader before.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would never tell somebody not to hunt. How are they ever going to learn if they don't get out and do it? I've never learned much from a DVD on how to coyote hunt but I like to think I'm pretty good at it, I've learned the most from failed attempts if nothing else. Watching a DVD or reading a magazine are good ways to get interested but experience can't be learned that way. I don't care if opening day is tomorrow. If I buy a bow, I'm going to use it. I had never hunted with a muzzle loader before but when my brother went out of town I grabbed his and killled a 150 inch buck. Good thing I didn't stay home because I had never shot a muzzle loader before.

Shooting a rifle (muzzle loader or centerfire) is a lot easier than shooting a bow. Shooting a bow under hunting conditions is particularly difficult. That is, if you care about the animal you're hunting. The time for a new archer to start practicing for an upcoming season is in the Spring. It is very easy for a very small mistake to result in a wounded, lost animal.

But, do as you wish.

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Yes I did get an acog. the same model as yours but with a amber reticle.

I think you have plenty of time to get a bow and learn to shoot it correctly before season. If you buy it in the next week or two and shoot everyday for a couple of weeks in various position I think you will be fine. You may not be hitting a quarter sized target at 40 yrds but you can make a kill shot on a deer. I believe in learning through experience. you are going to miss that is just part of the game. you may not even miss your whole first 5 years of shooting deer with it but eventually you will miss. No amount of shooting in the back yard will get you ready for when a B&C walks right out to 30yrds and acts like he knows your there. your heart will pound your ears will ring, your breath will stop. and it can make, making the perfect shot difficult. so staying home this season makes no sense to me either. Go get a bow, shoot till your comfortable then change positions and distances. then go hunt! Most of all let me warn you. It will cheapen the experience of taking game any other way. it is that exciting!

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never expected it to be easy and that's not what I'm implying. Telling someone to stay indoors and watch a DVD instead of hunting is comical. Especially over the Internet. The chances of me actually taking a shot, I believe, are slim because I understand bow hunting is a difficult skill that must be learned over years of practice and trial and error. Going in the woods having never shot a bow is pretty dumb, however being that I am a college student that doesn't work during the school year, I have ample opportunity to practice, which is what I plan to do. If I don't feel comfortable in the shot, I won't take it, be it with rifle or bow or whatever I am hunting or using to hunt with. I understand the responsibility hunters have by pulling the trigger, I bet I've been hunting longer than some even on this board but that's not the point. I have nothing against you and I agree a hunter needs to practice and know their ability before heading ou in the woods expecting to harvest a monster buck, but your comment that I shouldn't bow hunt this fall rubbed me. And even an experienced bow hunter can flub up and wound an animal, I'm sure it has happened at least once, maybe twice.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never expected it to be easy and that's not what I'm implying. Telling someone to stay indoors and watch a DVD instead of hunting is comical. Especially over the Internet. The chances of me actually taking a shot, I believe, are slim because I understand bow hunting is a difficult skill that must be learned over years of practice and trial and error. Going in the woods having never shot a bow is pretty dumb, however being that I am a college student that doesn't work during the school year, I have ample opportunity to practice, which is what I plan to do. If I don't feel comfortable in the shot, I won't take it, be it with rifle or bow or whatever I am hunting or using to hunt with. I understand the responsibility hunters have by pulling the trigger, I bet I've been hunting longer than some even on this board but that's not the point. I have nothing against you and I agree a hunter needs to practice and know their ability before heading ou in the woods expecting to harvest a monster buck, but your comment that I shouldn't bow hunt this fall rubbed me. And even an experienced bow hunter can flub up and wound an animal, I'm sure it has happened at least once, maybe twice.

As stated, do as you wish. You posted, I gave an opinion based off experience. As a student, don't you learn most of what you're studying by reading books or thru lecture? You'd be surprised what you can learn from a DVD.

I have nothing against you either. Didn't mean to "rub" you, just offering some insight.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually, and I'm being honest, I learn best by reading the chapter myself and doing the exercises. Lectures are for catching up on my sleep and posting on OSA! At any rate, thanks for your input. If it was cooler outside, and I wasn't working, I'd go buy a bow right now and get started practicing. It's even too hot to fish!

Latest posts

Top Bottom