Recommend me a Bow for deer hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been doing all my shooting for the past 2 weeks beside my house in the shade after about 7:30. It's doable but still hotter than two rates doing you know what in a wool sock.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was hot and heavy into it, about the only time I could stand it was early in the morning. Good thing is, the bow is quiet, so it never disturbed the neighbors. I was usually done with 50-100 shots by 8:30 am.

Jeff3C

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Look for an Elite Z28 over on archerytalk.com. You should be able to find a nice 2008.5 mode for under $350. You will probably be out another $100-$125 on good accessories (PM me if you get a bow, I have tons of extras)

I've got a Mathews Z7 that I spent $750 on and I still prefer my Elite over the Mathews. Another positive with Elite is that the warranty stays with the bow. You won't find another company that will cover the bow if you are not the orginal owner.

You should be able to find something like this for under $350. I promise you won't be disappointed. Make sure you know your correct draw length before you buy.
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1218535&highlight=elite+z28

If you make it to Shawnee you are welcome to come try mine out and see what you think.

Reaction score
BTW, King's Pawn is getting out of the archery business - Jeff no longer works there.... but *right now* they do still have bows & archery equipment. If I were you, and wanted to buy NEW, I'd go to H&H Gun Range or Oklahoma Archery in central Oklahoma, or maybe King's Pawn - but King's is not gonna be quite as helpful/knowledgeable without Jeff there.

Jeff is supposed to be starting up his own archery business, but we'll see. Focused on traditional, of course, if he does - but I'm sure he'll have compounds and such too.

Good deals CAN be found on used bows, but be careful what you're buying (e.g. if the strings need replacing, then you'll need to do that before the season, etc.). Again, if you get one in good shape at a good price (a compound bow) used, then you're probably gonna be happy if it has an *adjustable* drawlength, unless you happen to be unusually short or unusually tall (with proportional arms), because then you can tailor it to the specific release you use, and whether or not you use a loop/tru-nock.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive got to figure out my draw length. If nobody has been to heartland outdoors they have a pretty nice bow section. Not as big as h&h but it looks pretty extensive. I'm going to hit up h&h, heartland and ok archery. I've wanted a bow for awhile but really want one now. I'm about to graduate so I should have time to get serious about hunting.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. I'm hoping to get a bow this week but due to the events of the first half o f this week no such luck getting out again.

Looks like next week I'll have to go pick up a bow. I'm looking around the 550-600 range for a reasonable setup with some practice arrows. Still need to go get a target to shoot at.

Now if I can just get my Glock 19 sold this will make it much easier. Without the Mrs kicking my butt.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ive got to figure out my draw length. If nobody has been to heartland outdoors they have a pretty nice bow section. Not as big as h&h but it looks pretty extensive. I'm going to hit up h&h, heartland and ok archery. I've wanted a bow for awhile but really want one now. I'm about to graduate so I should have time to get serious about hunting.

I got my first one the summer of the year before I graduated...an old bear recurve that I gave $35 for with arrows. Killed my first deer with that rig in the fall of '82. Have fun getting yours.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kings pawn and archery has a nice selection of used bows. There is also a place in jones that has a big sale going on this month.

Plus a bunch on King's Pawn. Don't know the folks in Jones.

For that money, look for a recent non-parallel limb bow. Everyone who can afford one seems to have gone to the shorter parallels, and they do offer real advantages. I have a PSE which was about the last non parallel they built. It has about a 75% reduction at full draw (not an archery expert here).

These bows are good, and can sometimes be had for reasonable money. Get going now. It's getting close to the season, and days will make the difference.

At King's tell 'em the old guy with the beard sent you. That'll narrow it down.

At least talk to the guys at H&H. They can be helpful, though I doubt you'll find anything there you want to buy in a bow. Bass Pro won't have anything. Canvass the pawnshops once you know what you are looking for, but not before unless you bring your own vaseline . . . King's is an exception. Also a great bow shop in Prague. CB

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually, and I'm being honest, I learn best by reading the chapter myself and doing the exercises. Lectures are for catching up on my sleep and posting on OSA! At any rate, thanks for your input. If it was cooler outside, and I wasn't working, I'd go buy a bow right now and get started practicing. It's even too hot to fish![/QUOTE]

Warsh youre mouth out boy! Git up early and be there when it starts gittin light!

Why just two weeks back I did that an' caught one big bass in three hours.

You obviously don't have the virus. CB

Latest posts

Top Bottom