Recommend me a Bow for deer hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvrx4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Be careful buying used..I bought a used one 2 years ago not knowing anything. The poundage was too much and the drawlength too short. It was a nightmare. I wasted about $250. Fast forward to last month I went in to H&H and told them what I wanted and how much I had to spend. 2 1/2 hours later I left with a new bow some arrows and about 2 hours of very good instruction.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
sorry but i got to make some comments about some stuff...
first everyone keeps talking about having to spend extra $ to get a mathews like they are so outragously priced but they are not any more expensive then any other bows out there. I bought my switchback for $350 on ebay and there are a ton on there now in that range.... although i do agree u need to go to a pro shop and shoot some different bows and see what fits u.
next... 2 months is plenty of time to get ready, my wife just go her first real bow this summer and i had her driving nails in a few weeks. plus there was a comment about hitting a 6inch plate! well if anyone is satisfied with a 6inch group it better be at 70-80 yards cause if u cant stack arrows at 20-40 u probably dont need to have a bow in the woods to begin with.... but i think u will be fine if u practice right and stay with it.
then.... i agree the Elite GT is a great bow but they have timming issues so until u get a bow press and learn to make real tunning adjustment on a regular basis i would hold off on one of them.
what it boils down to is u need a good bow to start cause the more comfortible and nice the bow is to shoot the more fun u will have and will be more likely to stay with it so go shoot every bow at the shop and pick the one u like best!

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive got to figure out my draw length. If nobody has been to heartland outdoors they have a pretty nice bow section. Not as big as h&h but it looks pretty extensive. I'm going to hit up h&h, heartland and ok archery. I've wanted a bow for awhile but really want one now. I'm about to graduate so I should have time to get serious about hunting.

Your draw length should be your wingspan, minus 15 and then divide by 2. For me, my wingspan is a bit over 6' 7". That is 79". Minus 15 equals 64". Divide that by 2 and you get 32". There aren't a lot of bows that have a 32" draw length, but it's better to be a little bit short on the draw length of the bow rather than being a bit too long. I currently shoot a Mathews Q2XL with a 31" cam. That with a release and a D-loop works out okay for me.

Huckelberry75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked up a Hoyt Alpha Max fully tricked out for $350 on Archery talk.

Just do your homework, and then when you get it, Shoot Shoot Shoot. But, don't try to go out in the yard an burn 100+ arrows every day. Usually your first 10 to 20 shots will be your best b/c of muscle fatigue etc.

For a cheap target, you can use one of the nylon/plastic dog food or birdseed sacks, and fill it up with old rags, towels, t-shirts etc. Stuff it full, and then put a bulls eye sticker on it and shoot away. I turned mine niside out so it was white, and then spray painted a 3" dot. Beware, it is only good for field points!!!

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I picked up a bow tonight. It's a Reflex Excursion. I read a bunch of reviews and for the price I thought it would fit me just right.

[Broken External Image]
Thanks saddlebum!!

Took it over to my brothers house and borrowed is release and arrows and started flinging arrows. After about 10 shots at 30 yards this is what I got.
[Broken External Image]

It kept hitting left for me so I aimed right.
[Broken External Image]

A little too far right. I moved on back to 40 yards or so and was hitting too low. The sights need to be adjusted some but the draw and weight is perfect for me. I figure with more practice with my own release and arrows and some adjustment on the sights, I'll be ready just in time.

It has a little more noise and vibration than I was expecting but I think it can be quieted some with some adjustment on the limbsavers. I don't think I could have found a better setup for what I got. Practice practice and practice.

Reaction score
Looks fantastic, Wormy Dog - the proof is in the pudding; congrats! :D

That Reflex bow looks a lot like my 0? Hoyt MT Sport, which I am shooting this year, since I parted with my other compounds (08 Liberty I, 99 Hoyt Aspen, and 08 Bear Instinct).

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"they" say Reflex brand bows are/were budget Hoyts or made by Hoyt or previous years Hoyts left overs. They got a ton of good reviews.
I could have had all 4 arrows stacked in there but my brother didn't want me hitting his arrows. The round bales for an easy target, and available for me.

I think it would've shot a little better because the whisker biscuit was for aluminum arrows and I was shooting carbon arrows. I've got a carbon arrow whisker biscuit now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom