Recommend me a Bow for deer hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DownDeep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do longer bows generate more velocity from the same pull weight than a shorter bow (all other things like pull length being equal), or no correlation necessarily? Because my Liberty I had would really sling them arrows, but I didn't clock them.

I may be wrong on this, but I believe a bow with a longer draw length "USUALLY" has more velocity because it has longer power stroke.
A bow with a longer riser/ATA is more forgiving as far as accuracy. Draw weight does come into play with velocity and so does cam design.
Longer power stroke + heavier draw weight = Speed

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I shoot an Elite Archery Synergy. I love that bow... Freakin fast!

I'm so stoked for hunting season!!

Typically modern bows don't work well with fingers because of their short ATA... The extreme angle at which the strings come to at full draw can put a hurtin on some fingers. Release all the way!

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I may be wrong on this, but I believe a bow with a longer draw length "USUALLY" has more velocity because it has longer power stroke.
A bow with a longer riser/ATA is more forgiving as far as accuracy. Draw weight does come into play with velocity and so does cam design.
Longer power stroke + heavier draw weight = Speed

Riser design (reflex vs. deflex) has more to do with velocity than axle to axle. Also, like allout states, brace height, comes into play also. When it's all said and done, to get the most velocity out of a bow, you give up the most forgiveness. And vice-versa.

Texas deeraholic

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was in the same situation a few years back. I went to Cabellas not knowing anything about bows. I bought a PSE Nova Extreme fully set up for just over 300. I went out on opening day and shot an 8 point with it about two months later. That bow was effective, but after getting into bow hunting more and trying out a few bows that were at shows or belonged to friends, I wanted something better. I went on archerytalk.com and ended up getting a Matthews DXT that was a demo model and had never been shot outside a shop for about half the retail price. I love that bow and would recomend one, but my cousin swears by Bowtech and one of my friends won't shoot anything other than a Hoyt. Figure out which bow feels best to you and then look on archerytalk. I don't think you can find better deals on new and used bows than on that website.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
there are tons of things to throw in when talking about velocity... riser design, cams, limbs, draw lenth and weight, arrow weight etc.
a few key things are draw length... longer equals more speed on the same bow like stated above (power stroke).... cams, double cams are typically faster but are not as smooth or easy to draw as a single and how extreme the cams are...brace heigth (the distance from your string to the riser), the shorter the faster but is less forgiving...arrow weight is obvious, lighter is faster.... draw weight, another obvious but doesnt account for as much speed as u would think.... there is a reason your hunting bow wont shoot IBO (the speed the bow claims) its because IBO is done at 70lb 30inch draw with a 300gr arrow..... my hunting setup is 28inch so minus 20fps and my arrows are 450gr so minus another 10fsp (roughly) so im already 30fps slower and thats not including differnt string material which is heavier, my peep and string sliencer and the added serving for them (any weight added weight to the string slows it down)... these are generic things typical to most bows when considering speed

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
there are lot more small details to take into acount as well.... like fletching, blazers are faster than 4" veins.... blazers weight 6gr per and 4" veins weigh 12gr per but blazers dont stabalize as fast or as well as longer veins.. i could go on forever but this is just things to think about.
everything on a bow is give and take so we just have to decide what is more important to us as the shooter
kind of the answer to the longer ATA being faster is.... not really, there a lot of other things involved that take over

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
there are lot more small details to take into acount as well.... like fletching, blazers are faster than 4" veins.... blazers weight 6gr per and 4" veins weigh 12gr per but blazers dont stabalize as fast or as well as longer veins.. i could go on forever but this is just things to think about.
everything on a bow is give and take so we just have to decide what is more important to us as the shooter
kind of the answer to the longer ATA being faster is.... not really, there a lot of other things involved that take over

This is also very true. A perfect example .....Remember, I was shooting with fingers....

When I first started, I was shooting a 48" Pearson 2300c. It was my hunting bow. It was shooting 2117 arrows at about 218 fps. But it was very forgiving. When I started shooting 3-D, I went to a 43" Browning Maxim. That was the sweetest bow I ever shot. Not super fast. But very forgiving with decent speed. I was shooting 31" 2514 arrows at 230 fps. That was a good balance of speed and forgiveness for me. When I got serious about 3-D, I went to a Hoyt Deviator XL. 42" ATA with very hard cams, and a 5" brace height. It shot the same arrows at 270 fps, and carbons at 310 fps. But it was a monster to shoot. Form had to be perfect with that bow. I shot all of those bows at 70 lbs draw weight, 30" draw. ATA had nothing to do with speed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom