Recommend me a Bow for deer hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Outstanding. Then it's probably the same as the MT Sport, or very similar.

I've noticed that for the price this bow is quiet, smooth, and has a lot of letoff. So I agree and think you made a good choice. I haven't gotten the accuracy nailed down with mine yet, but we'll see. When I first bought my 99 Hoyt Aspen, I doubled up (not on purpose of course), within a couple weeks shooting that fall, before the first season I ever deer-hunted, from 18 yards. So step back to 25-30 or more if you want to save your arrows, once you get dialed in, or make a lot of separate bullseyes on your target. :)

DownDeep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just bought my first bow recently and I was shooting left while using my fingers, but if I use a release I'm right on. Are you shooting with a release?

You might be "Rolling" the string while drawing the bow back with your fingers. Also, your anchor point will usually be differant between fingers and a release. If I were you I'd pick the way that you are most comfortable with, adjust the sights if needed, use the same achor point, pick a fine spot on the target, and follow thru with the shot.
Happy Shooting!

P.S.- That bow is a hard hitter!

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just bought my first bow recently and I was shooting left while using my fingers, but if I use a release I'm right on. Are you shooting with a release?

Shooting a bow with fingers requires a different set-up from shooting with a release. The arrow flexes much more, and does it in a side to side fashion vs the up and down flexing when using a release, and will try to jump off the arrow rest away from the bow when properly tuned.

This is the way I shot for hunting and competition. I never cared for mechanical releases. If I ever get back into it, I'll have to use a release because there are very few good "finger" bows made now days.

DownDeep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He has a Jennings Carbon Extreme. It isn't a Short Bow by any means. I believe it is about 40" Axle-to-Axle. I myself would not want to draw it with fingers! Anyone that has drawn back a Jennings Carbon Extreme would tell you that they are a B*tch to draw back. I believe the draw weight can be set between 60-80lbs., but even at 60lbs - 65% let-off those things are a booger to come to full draw. Great beginners bow. That long riser is much more forgiving. An all alround great older style bow!
I will say this though.... My opionion is that they are one of the hardest hitting bows that has been on the market!

Reaction score
Do longer bows generate more velocity from the same pull weight than a shorter bow (all other things like pull length being equal), or no correlation necessarily? Because my Liberty I had would really sling them arrows, but I didn't clock them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom