Recommend me a new .45 Auto

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuckyGunner.com

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you have bigger hands and are a generally bigger guy you'll enjoy the weight of a 1911. I can shoot for longer periods of time with a 1911. While the gun is heavier the felt recoil is less. I won't say you have to have a 1911, but most shooters end up with one eventually. Accurate, reliable, history, and they are like a 350 Chevy engine you can customize them how ever you want.

The above posters have gave you a good list
Springer GI
RIA
used Kimber (not my first choice)

non-1911
CZ 97b - (Have a 75 want a 97)

A.J.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I, myself am in the market for another .45 as a duty weapon. I am currently carrying a Kimber that I saved up for and bought slightly used. It is a very accurate, and very pleasant gun to shoot. It has night sights, and laser grips on it. I always score very high with it when re-qualifying...BUT, it's heavy and a pain to carry every day. While I have no intention of ever selling it, I'm looking at going to a high-capacity polymer gun. Right now I'm between an XD and a Glock. The only thing I have against the Glock is they're just so...vanilla...I mean every poor cop carries a Glock.
If I was you...I would look at a Taurus 1911. They are loaded with options, are relatively inexpensive, and I've heard nothing but good things about them. If you ever do get a 1911...NEVER sell it. It is a family heirloom.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Springfield Armory XDM45

I, myself am in the market for another .45 as a duty weapon. I am currently carrying a Kimber that I saved up for and bought slightly used. It is a very accurate, and very pleasant gun to shoot. It has night sights, and laser grips on it. I always score very high with it when re-qualifying...BUT, it's heavy and a pain to carry every day. While I have no intention of ever selling it, I'm looking at going to a high-capacity polymer gun. Right now I'm between an XD and a Glock. The only thing I have against the Glock is they're just so...vanilla...I mean every poor cop carries a Glock.
If I was you...I would look at a Taurus 1911. They are loaded with options, are relatively inexpensive, and I've heard nothing but good things about them. If you ever do get a 1911...NEVER sell it. It is a family heirloom.

I did get my hands on both a Springfield XDM and a Taurus 1911 on Tuesday. Really liked both. The Taurus was a really sweet gun, then again so was the Springfield.

tinfinger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not "new" since they are only made in Small runs nowadays but how about a S&W 4566, 4586 or 4506 as an alternative to the 1911? Made of entirely stainless steel,described as one of the most reliable handguns but most under-rated handguns ever made..Single stack and made to last forever.. Can be found for $425-$500 range very easily. prices are steadily going up on these 3rd gen S&w's, kinda like LE trade in 686's revolvers for $250 just 2 years ago are well over $500 guns now, but not moving quite that fast...

Forged and machined stainless steel (yes, small parts may be MIM), legendary reliability, awesome machining...if anyone else made something like it today, it would be North of a grand each. Also, the factory still supports them and has a good reputation for customer service. Police trade-ins are in your price range, and it is doubtful any cop has worn one out. Smith's 45xx design criteria was also the same for their 10xx 10mm guns...maybe the only 10mm, all-metal gun that didn't have durability issues.

Sig 220's are also very nice. Any quality 1911 is very nice. Go for the metal frames now (steel or aluminum), as they are an increasingly endangered species.

mbfree

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have heard many good things about the S&W M&P. I have handled a few, and would really like to have one myself. If you were looking for a 1911, I would reccomend the Springfield GI model. Plus you can always upgrade the springfield to bring it up to par with the high end 1911's. I am a little bias towards the Springfields though, love 'em.

Latest posts

Top Bottom