Refletching Bolts/Arrows

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, here’s the deal. Rather than bring my main hunting crossbow home from Oklahoma, I have put my old Excalibur Exomax back into service to hunt here behind my house, and when I started getting all my Exomax stuff out, I realized I have a bunch of Firebolts with boogered up fletching. I probably have enough bolts to practice and hunt with. I only use these Firebolts with the Exomax, and given the fact it’s been 10 years since I last shot or hunted with it, I’m not sure how much money (if any) I’m willing to put into this refletching project.
Buy the fletching and glue and we will do every one in my shop at no charge. I’ll even buy my own beer.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not real sure. The ravin is a straight as the arrow though. I made an ASSumption 🤣
I’m not sure either. With out an amazing knowledge of arrow ballistics, always thought the arrow had to spin like a bullet for stability.
Then again, it’s a different science, one that I don’t know a lot about.

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m not sure either. With out an amazing knowledge of arrow ballistics, always thought the arrow had to spin like a bullet for stability.
Then again, it’s a different science, one that I don’t know a lot about.
Many have theorized that you fletch according to whether you are right or left-handed, some have said depending on if you are running field points or broadheads, I even saw an argument for fletching according to crosswinds. All are good factors to consider, aside from crosswinds, but they are not the reason why arrows spin one way or another.

The arrow’s natural spin, in fact, is determined by the way your strings are twisted. As we twist our strings clockwise, this will create a natural left spin of the arrow. Of course, we recommend fletching your arrows with a left helical, as your arrows will then be directed by the vanes/feathers in the natural spin of the arrow.

You’re probably wondering, “But what if I don’t want my screw-in points to come loose? What if I can’t get clearance on my bow with a left spin? What if I have to shoot with a right-spinning arrow to match my broadhead blades?” This is not a problem. As vanes have much more influence on the arrow than its natural rotation, you can fletch with a right helical which will cause the arrow to re-direct itself to spin in the opposite direction.

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Buy new ones and once you have a dozen with buggered vanes, sell them for a discount and put that towards new ones.

When I used to shoot a lot (compound), I used a lazy Susan with 6 bitzenberger jigs in a circle, could get a dozen done up real quick. Nowhere to shoot now so it's all collecting dust. I miss the 3D ranges in Oregon and Idaho...

Anyway, I've always been of the mindset that one should always be capable of maintaining their gear, including re-fletching arrows/bolts; good thing to know how to do and to teach to the kids (so hopefully they can do it for you!).

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back in the 80’s and early 90’s when I hunted with a compound, i fletched my own arrows, and I guess I’m going to fletch my own again. I had a guy on another board offer to give me a brand new Grayling jig and a bunch of vanes if I would pay shipping from Canada, and to show my appreciation, I’m buying one of his custom bowstrings for my Exomax.

Latest posts

Top Bottom