Regular PVC as underground conduit?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So the pvc conduit won't?
It all gets brittle eventually. Try digging up your sewer pipe, give it a tap with a shovel and see how easy it cracks. That's why the "Sewer Lawyer" can afford all those commercials he's running now.

But if you go with conduit it'll hold up for the rest of your lifetime barring land shift from earthquakes or land slides. Remember to run a bend at both ends and/or seal it up to keep water, bugs, or mice out. 2" is great for mice to eat your wires as they're building nests.
Also any Sch 40 above ground will get brittle over a summer or two in Oklahoma.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you talking 12 volt wire like extension cord?
You said low voltage.
I have buried the wire right in the ground for my yard lights and no issues after 15 years.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK Adam I want to share something almost unrelated with you.

I saw this was for starlink which I had to look up. It's internet service so my oh-no moment was unfounded. I was worried you'd get it installed, it'd short out, and it'd be during tornado season.

My daughter said "that sounds like a funny story since it wasn't real" and said I should plug it into an Ai to see what happens. Here's the output....

David Payne dances onto the man's turned-off TV, making it come on by itself. David says the tornado is coming right at 2:00 am and that he will be at the man's house soon. The guy starts to get worried that a tornado will blow the house over and rip the roof off. Then he realizes the antenna is shorted out and that the tornado is just going to blow over his house. He looks outside and sees it is only 1:00 am and there is no tornado. The meteorologist is there telling the guy how stupid he is for thinking there was a tornado. The meteorologist clucks his tongue at the man. Just as Payne finishes, a loud noise is heard outside. It is the satellite dish being blown away by the tornado. The man rushes outside and finds his satellite dish 2 miles away. The satellite feed is somehow still on.

Well there it is, straight from Skynet. 🤣

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sch 40 will rot and crack in the ground but not for another 8-10 years. At that time you'll have water intrusion and possible shorts, but lemme ask you this....how old are ya? In 10 years anything I do.... it may be someone elses problem!
I ran the water line at my place in Osage county in schedule 40 30 years ago ain't leaked yet

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Sch 40 will rot and crack in the ground but not for another 8-10 years. At that time you'll have water intrusion and possible shorts, but lemme ask you this....how old are ya? In 10 years anything I do.... it may be someone elses problem!
Schedule 40 PVC is what they run for sewer and as underground water lines, sun is what will break down schedule 40 in that short of time....

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Schedule 40 PVC is what they run for sewer and as underground water lines, sun is what will break down schedule 40 in that short of time....
Yes, the sun will absolutely break down anything above ground. But if you dig up sch 40 you'll see that it's brittle after being in the ground a while. I've dug up more than my share of cracked water lines in my 70 plus years, and they're always so brittle you can break bits off in your hand.

Latest posts

Top Bottom