Regular PVC as underground conduit?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My idea was elbow up a bit, then a U going down so water can't get in, like a reverse trap....then a clean out cap on the bottom with a hole drilled to poke the wire through then RTV the heck out of it.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My idea was elbow up a bit, then a U going down so water can't get in, like a reverse trap....then a clean out cap on the bottom with a hole drilled to poke the wire through then RTV the heck out of it.
I would suggest the same thing. Caulk won't last more than a few years so you'll need to re-do it, but it's a small reminder on your calendar and a 1 minute job including cleanup.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Yeah, that sounds reasonable.
When you drill the cap, instead of drilling a hole in the middle of the cap...
You could just slot it out near the cap OD threads. Just slide the cable into the slot, and thread it on. Easy install/ removal without the cap trapped on the cable.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep will work fine. Just need to get some sweeping 90' bends, Schedule 40 or conduit will work fine. And like others have said seal the ends.from critters and it filling up with mud and junk. It would be good for your use something on hand to save $ and I would also suggest you put in a heavy nylon pull string (1/4 or larger) rope in while pulling your cable and try not to twist too much case in the future you wanted to add something else later, different system that needed 12V or 120V for a driveway alarm system, pole light, lit outhouse, whatever, etc. Like you, my shop building 150 ft away is fed with #10 THHN wires. Now in schedule 40 1" PVC I had on hand after moles ate through the direct burial (romex looking) type wire originally installed when the house was built.

I do hope yours will be easier to dig than mine was with a rented walk behind Ditch Witch. I was cleaning up rocks it pulled up for two weeks afterward. That was at least 15 years ago. Took a couple years for the grass/weeds to totally hide it. Actually forgot about it until this thread. Sched 40 PVC is still doing fine into the breaker box added to the bottom of my power pole Good luck to you,

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The ground here digs really easy so it shouldnt take too long to trench it by hand. I might do the first pass with the ole Cub Cadet and single row plow.

Starlink cables are not bury rated, unfortunately.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are several ways to seal the end, steel wool with silicone on top, cap with hole in it, or have even drill hole in the side of pipe just big enough for the wire just below where a cap will bottom out on the pipe and then cap it, LV lines dont have to be very deep in the ground like HV lines, also have on occasion drilled a hole in the bottom side of the 90 to let what little water to seep out of the pipe or even take a saw and cut a slit in the bottom. All your doing with LV is protecting the wire from any sharp objects that it may come in contact with and to make it easier in the future to replace it. any wire that you use outside underground whether in conduit or not needs to be direct bury rated if not the insulation will deteriate over time and cause shorts.

Latest posts

Top Bottom