reloading 9mm 38special 357magnum

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
been reloading 223 for a little while and i am thrilled with the results. i am truly making better ammo than i was buying from factory, and i can see it in my groupings and trips to the range, and i get to make more for the money, and tweek the outcomes as i please.

so now i am looking at expanding and buying some more dies and components and getting into reloading my pistol calibers.

For some reason i seem to have had it in my head that 9mm 38special and 357magnum used the same diameter slugs, the only difference i thought was that they typically stuck hollows or soft points in the 357mags as far as factory loads go.

so i figured i would be able to buy one supply of bullets and load up all three cartridges, like with a 124grain fmj.

but at first glance on powdervalleyinc.com i notice that they are clearly listing 9mm as .355 and the 357 obviously as .357.

so, i am left to assume that i would have to buy a different supply of bullets for the 9mm, but that i could still load the 38 special and 357mag with the same bullet.

if this were the case, i would probably just keep buying factory 9mm and simply reload the revolver rounds only.

also, i notice that some sites selling the lee carbide 3-4 die sets for 357mag and 38 special seem to differ on description and name of the cardridge they are intended, some say 38special some says 38special 357mag, i again assume the same set works for both cartridges, i was not certain if there was a depth issue and that they might sell a 38speical die set that would not work on the longer magnum cartridge.

thanks
robert

1911user

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A 38 special die set will load 357 ammo just fine. The reverse may not be true. Buy the 38 special die set and use it for both 38sp and 357mag. Die sets marked 357 magnum (only) may not be adjustable to the 1/10" shorter needed to load 38 special ammo. That 1/10" case length difference is a safety factor to keep 357 magnum ammo from fitting into 38 special chambers where it would likely cause a case blowout or worse due to the tripling of maximum case pressures allowed.

9mm and 38/357 bullets are not the same diameter, just close. Jacketed bullets are .355 for 9mm and .357 for 38/357. Hard cast lead bullets are typically .356 for 9mm and .358 for 38/357.

Calamity Jake

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You may want expander and seater dies for 38 and 357 that way you don't have to readjust when switching between the two calibers, one sizer works for both.

If you load only lead bullets then choose the .358 dia. for all three calibers just pick a weight suitable for the 9mm as there is little to no load data for anything over 147gr in the 9mm. You may also need to use only a round nose or Truncated cone nose for the 9mm as most don't like a SWC bullet.

If jacketed only then go for .355 and .357 respectfuly.

Latest posts

Top Bottom