Reloading for a Vaquero 45 Colt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I guess I need some schooling on what is "OLD" vs "NEW", and how many different models are there?
I thought that this was the "New" style.
http://www.okshooters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65066&highlight=Vaquero

I didn't get mine with the box and I'm not exactly sure what model it is. If anyone could help me to find the facts I would appreciate it. The frame just says "Ruger Vaquero" nothing about new model. The serial number is 58-x9137if that helps.

ai641.photobucket.com_albums_uu135_jmiller556_472ad688.jpg

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's some discussion on the topic of New Vaquero vs. Old Vaquero. Hope it helps: http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-177504.html

Sweet! I'm pretty sure that I have the "Old" Vaquero.

1. It doesn't say "New Model" on it.
2. The base pin doesn't pull all the way out free from the gun.
3. The ejector push button is round and not crescent shaped.

Thanks for the link flatwins!

Now I can make some "big loads"!!!:woohoo1:

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sweet! I'm pretty sure that I have the "Old" Vaquero.

1. It doesn't say "New Model" on it.
2. The base pin doesn't pull all the way out free from the gun.
3. The ejector push button is round and not crescent shaped.

Thanks for the link flatwins!

Now I can make some "big loads"!!!:woohoo1:

Good deal! That is a very cool little 45, btw.

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like an old one to me as well. But its far easier to tell in person.

Here is an article about the 2.
http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-NewVaquero.htm

Thanks aeropb! I broke out the calipers and did the measuring and the verdict is in...I have the Old stlye Vaquero! That link was great they even showed pictures of the differences between the two.

Thanks again all!

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It does seem you have an older Vaquero, and she's pretty, I still would hold off on "Super Sizing" any loads due to her size and grip shape. Load up some that will roll out the end at around 900fps. I think you'll find that to be fairly potent in her. Granted you can stoke her up to close what a .44mag is, but with that birds head grip she'll be rather hard to hold on to, and she's really gonna smack that hand. JMHO!

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It does seem you have an older Vaquero, and she's pretty, I still would hold off on "Super Sizing" any loads due to her size and grip shape. Load up some that will roll out the end at around 900fps. I think you'll find that to be fairly potent in her. Granted you can stoke her up to close what a .44mag is, but with that birds head grip she'll be rather hard to hold on to, and she's really gonna smack that hand. JMHO!

I think your right about it smacking my hand pretty good! My friends super blackhawk packs a mean a$$ punch. I was just surprised at how mild my gun kicked with the ammo I had, but after reading an article that another member sent me, even the light loads are more powerful than the 45acp. So I think that I will load both. Lighter loads for punching paper and a little heavier for hunting.

kcatto

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As well hot loading does a number on your once fired brass....

I always load almost everything I own midway of the stated loads....

I find the hottest load recommended and the mildest load recommended....

split the difference and that is how I load.... keeps from stretching the brass and bulging the brass and keeps splits to a minimum. keeps you in usable brass or you get the most re-loads of your brass...

I agree totally with ldp4570 posted earlier.... 255gr to 300gr at 900fps will knock most any animal off of their feet....

Latest posts

Top Bottom