Reloading for a Vaquero 45 Colt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I recently purchased a Vaquero and plan on reloading for it. I am new to reloading and I am almost all set up and ready to go. Just missing a few pieces. Anyways, I bought my dies, brass, bullets, powder, primers, and a Hornandy manual. I was reading it yesterday and in the index there is two different loads for the .45 Colt. One just says .45 Colt and one say for Ruger and T/C. In the Ruger & T/c section it says for Blackhawks. These are the hotter loads like around 26gr vs. 6gr I believe. So my question is... Can I load the hotter loads for the Vaquero or is it just inadequate and can't handle the pressure? If you anyone can shed any light on this I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks,
jmiller45

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 2 loads you mentioned are for different platforms. The 26gr loads only show up in the TC Contender/Encore section of my books. I can't find a .45 Colt revolver load that uses more than 20gr of AA-5744. Honestly if you're just gonna punch paper, I'd use the suggested starting load.

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 2 loads you mentioned are for different platforms. The 26gr loads only show up in the TC Contender/Encore section of my books. I can't find a .45 Colt revolver load that uses more than 20gr of AA-5744. Honestly if you're just gonna punch paper, I'd use the suggested starting load.

That's probably what I will do, but I would like to use it as a side arm for hunting also and think that I would like a little extra umph! Plus my friend carries a 44MAG and laughed the other day when we shot the 45Colt. I want to make him some surprise rounds next time we shoot!

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What sites are you looking at?

I've been all over the place, mostly just starting with Google and going where it leads me. This site: http://www.sixguns.com/tests/tt45lc.htm lists some heavy loads for the 45. The cowboy stuff is a little on the lighter side. I've loaded up a few but am yet to test them. I'm using 250 grain lead flat nose with 5 gr of Trail Boss. It is supposed to be a light plinker load. I'm also going to load up some black powder stuff though that is a whole different deal.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I recently purchased a Vaquero and plan on reloading for it. I am new to reloading and I am almost all set up and ready to go. Just missing a few pieces. Anyways, I bought my dies, brass, bullets, powder, primers, and a Hornandy manual. I was reading it yesterday and in the index there is two different loads for the .45 Colt. One just says .45 Colt and one say for Ruger and T/C. In the Ruger & T/c section it says for Blackhawks. These are the hotter loads like around 26gr vs. 6gr I believe. So my question is... Can I load the hotter loads for the Vaquero or is it just inadequate and can't handle the pressure? If you anyone can shed any light on this I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks,
jmiller45

First, Is this a New Model Vaquero or an Old Model Vaquero? If its the New, I wouldn't be trying to stoke her hot, if its the Old, no issue, but you'll find a loading of 255gr to 300gr running about 900FPS will handle anything you want to shoot.

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First, Is this a New Model Vaquero or an Old Model Vaquero? If its the New, I wouldn't be trying to stoke her hot, if its the Old, no issue, but you'll find a loading of 255gr to 300gr running about 900FPS will handle anything you want to shoot.

That's the answer.

The Blackhawks/Old Model Vaqueros can handle the hot loads. The New Model Vaqueros are not nearly as strong and shouldn't have anything other than standard ammo in them.

If you've got a Old Model, you can get the .45 LC nearing .44 Mag power.

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well crap. I really wanted to make some "hot" loads. Just curious, since ou can get a new Vaquero in 44mag is the difference just in the cylinder, I mean do they just make it stronger to handle the pressure? Why wouldn't they make them able to handle the same boom?

W150

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well crap. I really wanted to make some "hot" loads. Just curious, since ou can get a new Vaquero in 44mag is the difference just in the cylinder, I mean do they just make it stronger to handle the pressure? Why wouldn't they make them able to handle the same boom?
No 44 mag in New Vaquero. That's the difference since the new Vaquero uses the smaller frame.

Latest posts

Top Bottom