Reloading lead safety precautions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tumble and separate my brass in the back yard with a mask and always wash when done, but I'm paranoid about tracking it in the house, as I have a one year old boy. I'm a bit OCD, so I worry that these precautions aren't enough. Could any dust getting on my clothes and tracked in the house be enough to cause health problems? Am I worrying too much? It would kill me if I did something to make my boy sick.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My youngsters had always been around my reloading. These kids have grown up into adulthood perfectly normally, as well as now having their own normal kids. Your caution of doing the tumbling out of doors and wearing a dust mask, as well as thoroughly washing hands after is the same standard I use. It seems to work. Use of a good dust mat to catch debris from feet is a fine idea.

Shriner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes you are. Your kid is at more risk from household cleaners than your reloading . Do wash your hand after reloading, cleaning guns or brass, but level 1 lab clothes and decon are not needed.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lead stores in the brain, and can be partly removed by a dangerous process called chelation therapy.

As far as symptoms are concerned, some of them are subtle and saying "my kid has been around it a long time and nothing bad has happened" really proves nothing.

Internet advice is worth just what it costs you, but it is incumbent on you to attain a level of knowledge that will make you fully aware of both the consequences of lead exposure and the proper techniques for minimizing it.

I have, over the past few years, posted recommendations that those into reloading, and particularly those into casting, educate themselves to a high level about the dangers of lead and how to avoid them. Those posts normally sink (like lead) into high page numbers. Since the negative effects are "pay me later," and since it's easier to engage in magical thinking, quite a few folks don't concern themselves with the dangers of lead.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just remember
No smoking,eating or drinking while reloading.
Everytime you touch your mouth with those lead coated fingers you are ingesting lead. Best is to wear latex or nitrile gloves.

Dr_Mitch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Keep wearing the mask with regard to the tumbler, and always use gloves. Lead is in the dust, from the lead styphnate in the primers and possibly from the projectiles. Your kid is most at risk from lead-containing dust being tracked into the home. I leave my shooting shoes outside.

Lead poisoning in adults can be "reversed" to a large degree. Lead poisoning in children cannot, and causes permanent developmental disabilities. Neither is easily diagnosed without input directly from someone who knows that lead-handling may be the cause. There's a mildly alarming thread on Brian Enos' Forum about shooter's experiences with lead poisoning.

Latest posts

Top Bottom