Reloading newb question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mighty_Mouse

Marksman
Reaction score
I was just wanting to know what the normal pricing is for 100ct and 1000ct small pistol primers, when the pricing is not crazy like it is right now and availability is normal. I've been collecting reloading equipment for years and finally decided to start trying to reload, seems like I picked the worst possible time to try to get primers & powder, I know pricing is high now, but wanted to know what normal is and what a fair price might be in this current market.

Thanks,
Tony

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@adamsredlines is correct, they were around $35 per thousand pre-panic. Inflated material costs, supply chain shortages, etc. is putting normal pricing around $75 per brick right now. Sadly, most indications, even from the manufacturers, are that they aren't going to be going down anytime soon. I hope they are wrong, but it may not be worth waiting it out if you need to get a brick or two. I'm finding powder with much less headache though. Prices may have risen a few dollars per pound in the store, but nothing near what primers have done.

Last edited:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last ones I purchased were at Gene Sears supply and were in the $65 area.

Like others stated pre pandemic was 35 and Match primers were a tick higher.

RobertinElkCity

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
$30-35 was the price I paid in the year prior to the panic, then I watched GB auctions go over $1000 for 1000 primers. The most I paid in the last year was $50 for 1000 Federal Large Pistol Match.

I think $65 per thousand is really good considering the market conditions now.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I see you’re up in Wichita. Might keep an eye on powder valleys website or get on the email list.

crapsguy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
last I saw was a few weeks ago at Cabellas at $60/k
I have no doubt they will drop back to at least near the normal prices when the hoarders get their closets full of the expensive stuff
before covid I ordered a batch for $29.59/brick [hasmat shipping incl] from Midsouth Shooters at their year end sale - won't see that for a while
yesterday cabells had all their ammo shelves stocked as high and wide as they could stack and bringing more out of stock
no primers though

Latest posts

Top Bottom