Reloading with Leverevolution powder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee Beaittie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are willing to do a little experimentation with it, you'll find that it can be an option for a lot of cartridges ranging from .223 to .30-06.
Well I bought 3lbs of it, so I'll be working on a few different things with. Now if I can only find those damn elusive lg pistol primers I seem to have not purchased before SHTF.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I have about 3/4 lb of it. Since it has a burn rate very similar to H380, would you start with a minimum H380 load and begin working up? I’ve never used a powder not listed for the load I am developing.
That is kind of what I did with reloading 5.45x39, had zero load info so took info for 221 fireball and 223 Remington I believe, would have to check notes, and came up with a minimum load. I did start a couple grains lower just to be on the" I have my fingers still side" Ended up with a pretty accurate load for an AK style rifle. CFE223 was the powder I was testing.

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tried it fairly extensively in 30/30. Hogden the people who make it stop at 36gr. with a 170gr bullet. Hornady the guys that make the leverrevolutin bullets max at 37gr. DO NOT start at Hornady's max load. It is nuts, and I called them about it and they stood by it claiming they tested it and it is Ok. I started having really flat primers and primer pocket gas leaks at 35.5 and 36gr I never made it to Hornady's 37. I'm brave but not that brave, They claim this stuff is a revolution in lever actions and list it to go about 100-200ft/sec faster at the max
When I had to back off to about 34.5 and 35 grains they hit pretty much same place for both and no issues. At that loading it goes right back to being about the same velocity as a factory round. Funny how that works huh. I think Hornady is full of it and just trying to push it for sales as I tried it in 2 different guns with the same issues.

I have crammed 100s of cartridges full of at least 6 other powders for 30/30 and never had an issue with my procedures ie OAL ect..

Moral of the story: Load it to hit around the factory velocity for a given bullet weight and your golden. There is no revolution in 30/30 at least. It is a nice doable powder for it but not my first choice.
No experience in any other cal. with it,

Last edited:

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tried it fairly extensively in 30/30. Hogden the people who make it stop at 36gr. with a 170gr bullet. Hornady the guys that make the leverrevolutin bullets max at 37gr. DO NOT start at Hornady's max load. It is nuts, and I called them about it and they stood by it claiming they tested it and it is Ok. I started having really flat primers and primer pocket gas leaks at 35.5 and 36gr I never made it to Hornady's 37. I'm brave but not that brave, They claim this stuff is a revolution in lever actions and list it to go about 100-200ft/sec faster at the max
When I had to back off to about 34.5 and 35 grains they hit pretty much same place for both and no issues. At that loading it goes right back to being about the same velocity as a factory round. Funny how that works huh. I think Hornady is full of it and just trying to push it for sales as I tried it in 2 different guns with the same issues.

I have crammed 100s of cartridges full of at least 6 other powders for 30/30 and never had an issue with my procedures ie OAL ect..

Moral of the story: Load it to hit around the factory velocity for a given bullet weight and your golden. There is no revolution in 30/30 at least. It is a nice doable powder for it but not my first choice.
No experience in any other cal. with it,

I wondered about that. I don't have an issue with loading my Marlin "hot", book published loads. But, I limit those for loads for Henry or '92 Win actions.

Beginning to see powders, I may try it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom