Remember Toxic Masculinity?---Dad Teaches Trans Son to Shave in Heartwarming New Gillette Ad

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use Harry's Razors...when I bother to shave that is, which is usually when the wife badgers the crap out of me and says I look like a street bum. I like 'em, as much as one can like dragging a sharp blade over one's face that is. They have a deal on their website where you sign up and they send new blades automatically. Me likey, easy and convenient.

Oh, and FYI, I am a MAN and my wife is a WOMAN. Nothing complicated, just a plain old male and female of couple of the heterosexual persuasion. We find that works for us. YMMV.

ditch the service and get a wet shaving setup. Cheaper in the long run AND a better shave. The 'more blades is better' stuff is hogwash marketing. A double edged razor is the way to go

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh I don't doubt you feel that way. However, it's been relayed to me that the opposite is true, often quoting those verses I linked. Whom is correct? IF christians "MUST judge" then where's your constant outrage? Personally, I think it would be exhausting, but nonetheless it seems there's some cherry picking going on to fit a narrative.

Still though, the bible says NOT to judge in multiple ways through multiple verses, you... a man.... says to judge others?
The Bible in places says not to judge, and in others to judge... both have to be kept in proper context. For example, the first couple of verses you cite go on to say why are you trying to remove a speck from your neighbor's eye while you have a log in your own eye? (paraphrasing) They seem to be more about hypocritical judging than a universal condemnation of judging. Other citations talk about facing God or Christ at judgment... would you contend (assuming belief in God) that God has no right to judge His creation? Some others, I don't really see the connection to the conversation regarding "judging". BTW, Romans 14 in particular discusses things that were prohibited for Jews under the law of Moses, but were not addressed for Christians under the gospel of Christ. So specifically, Paul is saying don't judge Gentile Christians for breaking rules that were never given to them (and no longer apply to Jewish Christians under the gospel). It certainly is not teaching that judgment is universally condemned, in context it specifically talks about things that were permitted under the gospel.

But TM is correct as well... In Romans 16, Paul says to mark those who cause division. Impossible to do without making a judgment. In 1 Corinthians 5:11 and following he warns not to keep company with a brother who is a fornicator, an idolator, a drunkard (and several other types) so much as to share a meal with them. Impossible to do without making a judgment. Jesus Himself said in John 7:24, "Don't judge according to appearance, but judge righteous judgment."

But I would argue that when a Christian relates what God has said on any topic, it is not the Christian who is judging, but rather it is God, who uses people to bear His message. In 1 Samuel 8, Israel tells the prophet Samuel that they want a king to rule over them (rather than judges as God had appointed). Samuel prayed to God about it who said, "Do what they want. They have not rejected you, they have rejected me."

So there are situations where the Bible says DON'T judge, and situations where the Bible says DO judge... and they have to be balanced (within context). You make some valid points about how we (Christians) sometimes make application of those principles, and you are right that we are bad about "cherry picking", but to suggest that judgment is universally condemned does not take in the full picture. Where God has clearly defined something as sin, it is not a matter of ME judging, but rather warning people that God has given His judgment. It may not look any different to some people.

People are of course free to ignore warnings, but there are consequences for that.

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i'll have to look into it more, but i was going to say something more along the lines of 'teaching to the test' has harmed us. No child left behind and other testing-based models are creating a generation of people who cannot think for themselves. I heard professors and college coaches talking about it all the time. Kids are coming in expecting to be told the answers and tested on them (and coaches are saying kids don't know how to fail). They don't like being asked to *think* (compare, contrast, etc) topics that have no correct answer.

i'll think about it more and see if i can't find the amount that states like MS are spending on testing contracts (it's stupidly high, ridiculously poorly administered and often only 'helps' the politicians who pass the legislation for the contracts)

‘Teaching to the Test’ is a ‘Two Edged Sword’ in that, if the Testing is designed to insure that an appropriate grasp of a goal curriculum is carried into the classroom by students, it is not entirely ineffective (this technique is often used in Continuing Education Classes for First Responders, Healthcare Professionals, Corporate and Industrial Training venues; however, it weakens the disciplinary conditioning of students that formal education is intended to instill, it denies students the enrichment of knowledge by bypassing the incidental contact with collateral information obtained during traditional study and research. This educational technique tends to increase the popularity of Instructors and Professors; however, in the final analysis, it is a weak method of teaching which is designed to meet a minimum standard for student development.

My criticisms of modern education:

Traditional Educational Objectives (English [Reading Comprehension, Composition], Science, History, Foreign Language) have been replaced or sidelined with modern goals* intended to prepare students for living in a collective society (Inclusivity, Tolerance), political activism, environmental awareness, and social justice. (*John Dewey Legacy Fulfilled)

Critical historic events have been omitted from curricula (wars, causes of wars, advances of western civilization, analysis of current events, analysis of opposing political perspectives, and much more than I have time to relate.

My impressions from front line Junior High and High School Teachers are that curricula and course material are given to them to cover verbatim in their classrooms. The majority of this material amounts to Marxist Indoctrination preparing youth for the anticipated political, social and economic changes to come. The Professional Educators are (in my patriotic opinion) seditious, conspiratorial and traitorous Political Operatives ..... Semper Fi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I understand your point of view JD8 of who to believe because they all say different things. My advise is read and decide for yourself. I measure every teacher against the Word. If they say what the Word is saying, they might be worth listening to, if they say something that is the opposite of what the Word is saying, not so much.

Well, I'm kind of past that in a sense that I still believe this is all man made fiction. None of it really makes sense from a logical point of view IMO, but spirituality is a personal thing. However, when people start projecting their morals while cherry picking the outrage of the moment, all the while acting in a certain way that doesn't reflect said teachings, or even tolerating those that do.... then we have issues. Namely, there's more judgment in this thread than others that would involve other sins. Gillette's marketing is garbage and all IMO, but they aren't raping children either...... christians are. Seems to be a relatively significant amount of silence from sanctimonious ones on those issues.

Ethan N

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I'm kind of past that in a sense that I still believe this is all man made fiction. None of it really makes sense from a logical point of view IMO, but spirituality is a personal thing. However, when people start projecting their morals while cherry picking the outrage of the moment, all the while acting in a certain way that doesn't reflect said teachings, or even tolerating those that do.... then we have issues. Namely, there's more judgment in this thread than others that would involve other sins. Gillette's marketing is garbage and all IMO, but they aren't raping children either...... christians are. Seems to be a relatively significant amount of silence from sanctimonious ones on those issues.
You think Christians are silent about child rapists? SMH

If you want to know why there aren’t threads on OSA with supposed sanctimonious judgement (saying some behavior or belief is wrong is neither sanctimonious nor judgement, by the way), it’s because there are no TV ads portraying child rape as normal and heartwarming. There’s no one saying child rapists just want to embrace their true identity, aren’t hurting anyone, we have to pretend they are something they aren’t, they should be able to use children-only bathrooms, etc.

Take a look at yourself. You’re being more sanctimonious than anyone else in this thread. Your posts are dripping with self-righteousness and superiority. I’m amazed at how patient everyone has been with you bashing beliefs and values we genuinely hold dear and strive in good faith to uphold, even though we acknowledge no one is perfect at it. My patience is wearing thin, so I’m going to unsubscribe from this thread for a while.

And you may mock me praying for you, but I wasn’t just saying it. I yearn for you to know and experience what I have with God. I keep feeling prompted to pray for you in this way, which I think means you will believe as I do someday. I hope so because knowing God through Jesus’ sacrifice is the best thing I have experienced in this world and I want that for you too. That is what I, as a Christian, want for others. Not to impose my will on them so they stop doing things I disapprove of.

Latest posts

Top Bottom