Remember when?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where was that at Dennis? I'm assuming they went out of business a long time ago?

Remember where taco stop is at on west grand? It was just west of it. Caddy-corner from Trout funeral home.
It was the west turn around when "dragging grand". A&W on 14th street was the east turn around.
The sparky's didn't last long as they didn't like kids cruising their lot. Then it was sold to Del Rancho. It's been little shops now for many years.
There were solid lines of cars dragging grand back in the day. No cell phones, no social media, just you and the guys crusin' looking for some sweet thing to catch your eye. Word of a party would be passed between cars at a stoplight.
Glass packs, dumps, and straight pipes on cars.
Great times!

Glock N Load

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I grew up in Norman in the late 80's ad 90's. We were always outside. The only time I was indoors was to sleep and eat supper. We built many of make-shift ramps for our bikes and had a big dirt hill we jumped also. I jumped that thing so many times i broke the frame of my bike in half. I didnt get a new one either, it got welded back together. We rode miles all over Norman. We had pick-up football, baseball and basketball games daily. We swam in the south canadian river in the summer time and fished it also. That river use to be 4ft deep back then. We hunted frogs and shot anything that moved with our bb guns.(including each other. no more than 2 pumps was allowed) My rule when i left the house was to be home before the street light came on. And if you didnt make it you got an ask whoopin with the paddle board. We had a rca console tv. The remote had 5 buttons. My remote now has 44. Yes i counted haha. Man those were some good times. The days were long and the fun was endless. Ahhh the good ol' days. The kids these days have been ruined by cell phones, computers and video games. Glad i grew up then instead of now. Oh yeah, Ronald Reagan was our president!!

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remember where taco stop is at on west grand? It was just west of it. Caddy-corner from Trout funeral home.
It was the west turn around when "dragging grand". A&W on 14th street was the east turn around.
The sparky's didn't last long as they didn't like kids cruising their lot. Then it was sold to Del Rancho. It's been little shops now for many years.
There were solid lines of cars dragging grand back in the day. No cell phones, no social media, just you and the guys crusin' looking for some sweet thing to catch your eye. Word of a party would be passed between cars at a stoplight.
Glass packs, dumps, and straight pipes on cars.
Great times!

Ok yup I know where you're talking about now. They should have sold cheap pops, stayed open late and capitalized on all the traffic. :)

Draggin' Grand was still popular in my day too. I got my first ticket there blasting off headed east from last stoplight in front of the Cultural Center.

We used to tear down "dog pound road" back when it was all gravel and open access. Good practice for counter-steering and fishtailing around corners. :D

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sitting here in the car surfing OSA while waiting for the kids to get out of church and Van Halen's Jump plays on the radio. Man, does that take my mind back a few years...

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
:)

We also were fortunate to have Lake Ponca close by for all kinds of fun and games. Between fishing, skiing, the annual races, and the countless and endless parties on the private docks, the place was hopping all the time.

Let's all find someone's field and have a kegger too. $5 buys you a cup, stay all night.

hipshot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
:)

We also were fortunate to have Lake Ponca close by for all kinds of fun and games. Between fishing, skiing, the annual races, and the countless and endless parties on the private docks, the place was hopping all the time.

Let's all find someone's field and have a kegger too. $5 buys you a cup, stay all night.

I'm in !!!

footballkckr7

Marksman
Reaction score
I am a youngster compared to you all, but i remember riding my bike all over and not having to worry about a thing. Grandma lived three miles away so I would ride along an irrigation ditch to go watch cable tv or play in the barn. riding for miles and miles and playing along the river bank and seeing what you could find. When I moved to the city, we still rode our bikes all over. Riding 15 miles in a day was easy and fun. It didn't matter the weather, we would ride all the time. I envy you old timers for the time period that you grew up. One without all the violence and kids not being entitled little a holes. There was more respect and people had manners. you old geezers sure are lucky. I love hearing about the child hoods you all had.

whiskeysnoot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember space exploration being the pride of this country. Every kid wanted to be an astronaut. Those guys were real men and real heroes Watching the Apollo launches and then the shuttle launches. In '79 the space shuttle landed in Tulsa on the back of a 747. Awesome sight. My dad worked at McDonnell Douglas and it seemed as though everyone we knew was involved in the aerospace industry. Heck, even my elementary school was named after an astronaut. Sad to see what has become of the space program.

Latest posts

Top Bottom