Remington 1100 problem.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ls3mach

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went to H&H yesterday and I took my deceased grandfather's Remington 1100 with me. I was shooting 2-3/4 shells, but it would not eject the catridge after each shot. I am not sure what to check or clean. The people there suggested the gas chambers were dirty. What information do I need to give you guys to help determine the issue so I can fix it?

Thanks

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like pyplynr said the shaft the o ring rides on probably needs cleaned and the o ring could possibly be damaged.

Get a rag and clean where the o ring rides and lube it a little that could solve your problems.

leon strickland

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
what gauge is it ? most 1100 s are chambered for 2-3/4 shell unless it is a newer model. if it is a 20 gauge and is chambered for 3 inch shells it will not work well with 2-3/4 the ports will have to be enlarged. 1187 have the same problem. if it is chambered for 2-3/4 sheell the problem is it needs to be stripped down all the way,remove the stock and clean the piston ,spring & tube that goes into the stock.clean the receiver in side,oil the slides very lightly.clean the gas ports and the complete gas assy. check the o ring seal. clean the magazine tube that the gas piston slides on.check to see you have the gas piston turned the correct way.use oil on the magazine tube with gun oil very lightly.that should fix you up.i bought one of the first ones they made i have several of them

Eric67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like pyplynr said the shaft the o ring rides on probably needs cleaned and the o ring could possibly be damaged.

Get a rag and clean where the o ring rides and lube it a little that could solve your problems.

Also check the gas ports to make sure they're not fouled and blocked.

+1 both of these, I've had both of these probs, 1100's are notorious for this

ls3mach

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
what gauge is it ? most 1100 s are chambered for 2-3/4 shell unless it is a newer model. if it is a 20 gauge and is chambered for 3 inch shells it will not work well with 2-3/4 the ports will have to be enlarged. 1187 have the same problem. if it is chambered for 2-3/4 sheell the problem is it needs to be stripped down all the way,remove the stock and clean the piston ,spring & tube that goes into the stock.clean the receiver in side,oil the slides very lightly.clean the gas ports and the complete gas assy. check the o ring seal. clean the magazine tube that the gas piston slides on.check to see you have the gas piston turned the correct way.use oil on the magazine tube with gun oil very lightly.that should fix you up.i bought one of the first ones they made i have several of them

It is a 12 gauge and I was firing 2-3/4, which I believe it says it accepts on the gun. Is there a video tutorial as I am not familiar enough with what you suggested to clean. Tearing it down, I feel comfortable with, I just don't know what to do after that. Also I was at Wal-Mart today looking at some cleaning supplies and stuff. What should I buy exactly?

Has anyone taken any of the classes at SGT Everetts? I was considering taking the maintenence class. I know it is for pistols, but I thought it might be a good start to learn.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
you might check the o-ring that is under the forearm. They have been known to get dirty and let the gas out instead of pushing back.

All the suggestions are good, but one thing to remember is that I have fixed several 1100's because people took them apart to clean and got the ring that holds the O ring backwards.

All of the suggestions are something you need to look at. You can get an exploded diagram at Numerich.com.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are three pieces that go on the mag tube. From the front, the rubber "O" ring, a steel ring with a beveled aft end, and another steel ring that has a flat side toward the rear and a matching bevel that the other ring fits into.

Pull off the nut at the front of the mag tube. Fingers should do it. Pull the forend forward, remove it, then pull the barrel forward. You'll find the three rings really stuck, most likely. They could be stuck inside the ring that is part of the barrel. I use brake cleaner (keep it away from the wood parts!) to get the rings loose. Look inside the barrel ring and find the two small holes that allow gas from the barrel to work the action. Poke a small diameter paper clip wire into each to be sure they are not clogged.

Go very light on the oil when you reassemble. Put some oil on the mag tube and try to wipe it all off with a soft rag. Reassemble. Should work. CB

Latest posts

Top Bottom