Remington 870...... 3" OR 3 1/2"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowboydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the extra cost isn't a major issue go for the longer chamber, just adds that much more flexibility. You can still shoot 3" and 2-3/4" out of it.

This was my thought when I bought my shotgun. Most of the guys I hunt with use 3.5" shells, so if I ever needed to borrow shells I would be out of luck if I couldn't shoot the larger ones.

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd wait for the new 4 inch chambers to come out:punch:, that way you could take out low flying PETA aircraft.:naughty:

On a more serious note, I would go with the 3.5 like others have said. Better to have and not need than to need and not have. Would like to see a 4 inch 10 or 12ga someday, don't think Id want to shoot it, but would like to see it for the S&G factor.

Hondafire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would go with the 3 1/2'' by far. Just because it can shoot 3 1/2 shells doesn't mean you have to. You will be glad that you have it if you ever want it. I like to load my gun to shoot 3'' shells except for the last shell, which will be a 3 1/2. And really, they aren't that punishing anymore. The old Mossy 835 seemed to kick like a mule, but I don't notice it anymore out of my Remmy. Thats just my opinion, I would go with the 3 1/2''.