Rethinking the way I hold my semi-auto

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Street Rat

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have been shooting a very long time, but perhaps some retraining is in order. I was at the range with my wife on Saturday and I didn't really like the way she was holding the pistol so I was trying to help her out some. I thought I better make sure I was telling her right and thought I would check some other opinions and training, I know there is a bunch out there and maybe not always accurate and I ran across this youtube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6QxRRcYlak&feature=related

Does anyone think this is good or bad, right or wrong? I know I have room for improvement, some of which could probably be remedied with something this simple.

Street Rat

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Didn't watch the video, something like this is what you're trying to do.

Somewhere there is an article about the "Enos/Leatham" grip, it's a good read.

I already have that one down. I ran across the video I posted a link to and it was just a little bit different so I wanted to get someones opinion on it. This seems so basic to be discussing, but sometimes I feel like the best way to learn is to start from the beginning.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you imagine your strong hand as being the grip from front to back, and your weak hand being the side to side, it pretty much forces you into the first videos position.

If the grip is in the "natural" position, you will notice you dont get as much grip front to back with your strong hand, its more front and to the side to back and to the side (from first video "barrel not aligned with forearm").

Street Rat

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If the grip is in the "natural" position, you will notice you dont get as much grip front to back with your strong hand, its more front and to the side to back and to the side (from first video "barrel not aligned with forearm").

That is my concern, it takes away from the fingers wrapping around the front strap, put it does line up with the forearm providing a good solid pivot point. I'll test this out next weekend and see how it goes.

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I already have that one down.
Seriously? Then why are you looking at Mr. Schrader's vid past about 3:20? He seems to be a nice, conscientous guy, but his grip is variable, and akin to old-school Weaver.
http://www.theschraderfamily.com/Marty/

Jarrett is using the same basic grip as demonstrated by Latham and Enos. If you see someone using it correctly, there is virtually no muzzle flip. Not saying there are no new ideas, but the pressure element is somewhat lacking in Mr. Schrader's method.:)

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is some good stuff there. I'm a little more excited about going to the range this weekend and practicing some of this.

I was just looking for some Todd Jarrett videos the other day to watch after Magpul Dynamics Carbine 1.

I love listening to Todd screw things up when he talks and then seeing him totally dominate every target on the range like he's using that part of his brain for shooting that normal folks use for speech.

Latest posts

Top Bottom