Retired a flag tonight...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I fly old Glory outside my house every day. Nothing huge, just one of those 3x5 polyester ones with the 6 foot aluminum pole. I also fly a US Navy flag in reverence to my niece who is stationed way out in San Diego aboard the USS Essex.

I've flown the stars and stripes almost daily for the last 8 or 9 years, sometimes in bad weather by accident, but I try not to. Anyways, she's been getting kinda ripped and tattered, so I decided to replace her.

I didn't want her to just lay around in the garage, so I looked online to see what protocol was for a flag that is not in repair for proper, respectful service. Surprisingly, there really isn't a cut and dried ceremony for this. Everywhere I looked, the only common thing was a respectful burning in private.

So tonight, after some charcoaled burgers and dogs and a big ol freezer of homemade ice cream (how's that for Americana) my immediate family and I built a campfire in the back yard and took turns saying what the flag means to us. Then, we sang the Star Spangled Banner, said the pledge of allegiance and I played Taps on youtube as the flag was laid gently into the fire.

It was a very somber and respectful event. :patriot:

CGS1

I'm Retired, Do It Yourself.
Special Hen
Reaction score
th (3).jpeg

jmike314

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for this. I recently replaced the one I fly daily because it was getting worn out and starting to tear. I folded it properly and set it on a shelf in the garage because I wasn't sure what to do with it.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wish more people had this kind of respect for the flag. You done good

Thank you. Them stars and stripes are very dear to my heart. I taught my 9 year old grandson how to fold it properly and if I woulda known that each of the 13 triangular folds stand for something, we would have talked about it when we folded it last week. But I didn't learn that until just last night right before the ceremony. But we talked about that as well. Very interesting and informative. God bless America and the old red white and blue.

:soldiers:

Latest posts

Top Bottom