Retired a flag tonight...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Amen @Glock 'em down..........God bless America and the red, white and blue !

VigilantShadyDwarfmongoose-size_restricted.gif

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Stillwater has a collection point at city hall for flags.. Red white and blue oil drum with a lid that allows you to add a flag. BSA would retire them correctly. I put in many over the years. Always thought that was really cool and respectful.
We collect the flags then have formal retirement ceremonies a couple of times during the year, at least one is sponsored by the Stillwater Elks Lodge. The flag in it's entirety represents the US, etc. We separate the Union by tearing it away from the rest of the flag. We then cremate (NOT BURN) the parts. By separating it, it is no longer the symbol of the US.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back in my days as a Scout leader, the troop generally did one flag retirement ceremony per year. We never had a shortage of flags given to the troop to retire. The polyester ones go up quickly so we were careful to only let the older, experienced Scouts handle those as you didn't want to dawdle near the fire.

nich018

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I fly old Glory outside my house every day. Nothing huge, just one of those 3x5 polyester ones with the 6 foot aluminum pole. I also fly a US Navy flag in reverence to my niece who is stationed way out in San Diego aboard the USS Essex.

I've flown the stars and stripes almost daily for the last 8 or 9 years, sometimes in bad weather by accident, but I try not to. Anyways, she's been getting kinda ripped and tattered, so I decided to replace her.

I didn't want her to just lay around in the garage, so I looked online to see what protocol was for a flag that is not in repair for proper, respectful service. Surprisingly, there really isn't a cut and dried ceremony for this. Everywhere I looked, the only common thing was a respectful burning in private.

So tonight, after some charcoaled burgers and dogs and a big ol freezer of homemade ice cream (how's that for Americana) my immediate family and I built a campfire in the back yard and took turns saying what the flag means to us. Then, we sang the Star Spangled Banner, said the pledge of allegiance and I played Taps on youtube as the flag was laid gently into the fire.

It was a very somber and respectful event. :patriot:

You and I think a lot alike!!! :clap3::soldiers:

Latest posts

Top Bottom