Revolvers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m looking at getting a revolver, but I’m very uneducated about brands and types. What are the good revolver brands....S&W and Ruger? I heard someone talking about Taurus....said they were good and inexpensive.

What would you buy for a conceal carry revolver in 357?

I’ve seen a lot of older revolvers in the classifieds. I’m assuming that they’re meant mainly for collectors, because why would you want an old revolver over a new or LNIB revolver?

Can anyone educate me......or point me in the right direction?

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my opinion
Ruger
Nuff said.

Smiths are great too, but cost a bit more than the Rugers.

If you get a Taurus, you may have to send it back for fixing.
My local gun shop had a Taurus Raging Bull in 454, shooting 45 Colt, & it locked up solid & became useless. It was getting sent back to the factory with 4 live rounds left in it, cause nobody was able to get them out.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ruger or S&W, whichever you prefer. S&W have the nicest action out there. Rugers are generally built like tanks and with decent care will outlast your grandkids. Both have their pluses. Pick one, and feed it often.

Taurus? Nope. :nolike:

Engineman1960

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a used latest generation Colt King Cobra in September -- Excellent double action trigger -- 6 shot .357 magnum -- stainless steel:

https://www.colt.com/series/KING_COBRA_SERIES

The Cobra, is in .38 Spl still a bit pricey over a S&W j frame

I traded for this Smith and Wesson:

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/performance-center-model-19-carry-comp

shot both the same day -- both are superior firearms

Large handguns, heavy ( relative to S&W j frame or Ruger LCR) I shot 100 rounds of Winchester White Box, 50 rounds in each, I used the factory grip on the Colt and used a Hogue Bantam rubber grip on the S&W, it comes with a factory Wood and rubber grip -- I like the Hogue better. Should have brought some .357 magnums -- next time. Could have shot either gun all afternoon, sometimes not the case with the J frame or the LCR.

Budget is a prime driver, $800 to $1100 for a safe queen is a lot of money. (that's why I like used, and trades) But these are tack drivers.

Purpose -- these need extra care if your going to carry in the summer.

I really like that King Cobra Target !!!!@!

Lone Survivor Quote: Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
why would you want an old revolver over a new or LNIB revolver?

Purchased right and it will make money faster than any other investment. Kinda like a bank account that you can play with. I was at one of my favorite pawn shops recently. A guy brought in a nice S&W 686 in the box. He had inherited it or something. He wanted to sell it cause he didn’t want ‘an old revolver’. I overheard the manager say the gun business would be dead right now if it weren’t for classic revolvers.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Snattlerake is correct pinned barrel,no lock Smith’s in the box at 95% or better condition. If it’s just an oddball or not often seen model, then condition matters less, the value will still be there.
Have you checked the ‘vintage s&w’ thread in the photo section?

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Almost every revolver I've ever owned was a S&W. I had a Dan Wesson for a while and it was okay, but I was never completely comfortable with getting the barrel installed with the right gap, and it had light primer strikes in double action occasionally. It wasn't any more accurate than any Smith, and that was the big marketing point at the time. Sold it and bought a S&W 586. Had a Taurus .22 magnum for about a month, but a friend wanted it so I sold it to him and upgraded to a S&W 351PD.

I'd love to have a Colt revolver, but they're pricey.

I have nothing against Ruger for something not too expensive, and dependable.

I'd trust my life to a Taurus only if I HAD to, but I'd much rather have a S&W, Colt, or Ruger probably in that order. S&W J frame should be concealable and more than adequate. The ultra-lite models in .38 spl or bigger will sure make you hope you NEVER have to fire it... jus' sayin'.

I'd love to try out a Korth revolver, but I don't really ever expect to spend that much money on one gun. If I did, it would probably have to be a Python.

Latest posts

Top Bottom