rhino line a storm shelter?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like I'm sure this is just an LC style subtletroll, but like, if you really think corrosion of buried structures is not a thing, or even that it's usually a slow thing, then like, what, dude?

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm telling you, pipeline companies the world over should probably just relax and shut down all their rectifiers and pull all their CP budgets. Aparently below grade corrosion is a myth. Who knew?

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So many words for such a simple job. As mentioned several times above, you can slow the corrosion down by wire wheeling (Don't waste time with a hand brush) the loose paint and corrosion off. Consider a Phosphoric acid wipedown to bare metal (Jasco Metal Prep) and/or etching primer, then decent paint (Tractor paint from Atwoods works OK).

Find a way to reduce the humidity and move on with your springtime plans.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No.

I'm saying I don't understand your assertion that it's not corroding on the outside as well.

That wasn't my assertion, but I could see the confusion. I'd just point back to "greatly decreased"

With the details he's given, between the epoxy and the rattle can I'd put my odds on the rattle can side being responsible for what he's seeing right now.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
it appears to be coming from the outside in, started as little pin holes and is getting larger, some of them just look like bubbles in the paint but i can push my finger all the way through

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it is rusting on the inside, it is probably rusting on the outside. I wouldn't spend a whole lot to treat the problem as it will still rust out from the other side. Wire brush to remove the rust, and use a good primer to stop the rust. It will only stop the rust on the inside. Start a fund to replace the shelter in a few more years.

It's mostly from condensation on the inside. You need oxygen to rust, so it's not rusting from the other side in tandem, unless it's made it all the way from the inside to the outside.

IIRC There are two "Storm Safe" companies out there, they had a bad split. I think the one in Valley Brook is the new one.

Very few of the shelter companies will be around in 10 years, so a lifetime warranty really doesn't mean much. It's more like a 2-5 year or "until we close up shop and open up at the State Fair with a new name" warranty.
You owe somebody some money for saying that the outside wouldn't rust as fast as the inside. You should donate to saddlebum's new storm shelter fund.
it appears to be coming from the outside in, started as little pin holes and is getting larger, some of them just look like bubbles in the paint but i can push my finger all the way through

Sorry to hear that, I have seen the same thing in several steel storm shelter companies shelters. This is exactly why I stated in my first response to try and stop the rust as economical as possible on the inside and prolong the doom and save up to purchase a new one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom