Atlas Storm Shelters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Only saw one thread that had this company named in it the last two years of thread so asking again as some people may have experience with these since then.

We currently are in a rental home. While it is a new build it still won't handle a tornado and when storms come through i can get a bit anxious knowing we don't have anyplace to go if Sapulpa is in the path of such a storm. We've had one 'nado warning in the 4 months since we've moved.

I seem to like what i see in the Atlas product with my little research and walking through them at the Woodland Hills Mall showroom yesterday. This could be unbolted, expaned to a larger shelter when we find our forever home. What is your opinion or experience with this company and product? Thanks for the replies.

https://atlassaferooms.com/commander-storm-shelter/

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Several tv weathermen have said that you have to be below ground to survive a direct hit of an EF5 tornado. Being hit with a 5000 pound truck at 250 mph probably wasn't done in their simulated EF5 projectile testing. The main thing is if it is what you want then go for it.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't disagree with this but I'm very claustaphopic and will not get into an inground shelter like they set into your garage floors. The oldschool concrete ones placed out in the yard are a little better for me but still don't sit well with me. My thought process is that this modular type is best for a rental house and can also serve a purpose once we are homeowners again. Can't do any inground or permanent above ground stuff where we are now.

What is your suggestion? Bath tub and mattress with two people and two dogs and hope for the best? Serious question.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Above ground work.

There was one that I looked at that was steel reinforced concrete poured on site that would have no trouble holding up to anything an EF5 could throw at at it short of a locomotive. But it was expensive and definitely not movable. They poured it all on-site including a substantial concrete foundation.

when I hit my final forever home it’ll have an above ground of some sort.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There's plenty of Research by the Texas Tech that shows the above ground shelters are just as safe as below ground. There are also other advantages to an above ground shelter.

They're hardly a 'coffin' when you buy a good shelter and install it properly. As a matter of fact they've saved plenty of lives from tornado direct hits.

People are just conditioned to believe the underground shelter is the safest because they've always been the most common.

I chose an above ground shelter when I bought my place because two underground shelters at neighboring houses have either flooded or 'floated' to the surface. It's not gonna do you any good if you can't get in it.

Last edited:

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Broken Arrow got a FEMA grant a few years ago which covered part of a homeowners expense towards the purchase of a storm shelter. My mom looked at several manufacturers in the area and chose Defiance storm shelters. He’s a one man shop and makes a nicely manufactured product. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend his shelters. Affordable Storm Shelters

edit: I’ll add that you’ll want to have a set of hearing protection stored inside the shelter for all occupants. Big metal boxes are loud when they are getting hit with debris.

Latest posts

Top Bottom