Atlas Storm Shelters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're claustrophobic you might look into some of the underground fiberglass shelters that are not rectangular. They are white inside and there are no corners so it has a different "feel". I'm not claustrophobic, but a friend of mine who is once said that it wasn't too bad.
Hmmm... I wonder if painting the walls and ceiling in a landscape & night sky would help. Maybe a desert scene to give the impression of distance?

Just a thought. Luck.
:drunk2:
___

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Properly built and anchored above ground is 100 times better than your bathtub! seen too many tornadoes. i think anything would be better than nothing.
Agree with this. If you're not going to force yourself into a below ground safe shelter you should definitely pick up an above ground. You need to be protected in oklahoma. That's all there is to it. And I'd much rather be in a concrete room above ground in an EF1-3 than in a bathtub. The chances of you getting hit with a 4 or 5 are minimal unless you live in Moore, or your last name is Moore, or you drive through Moore...etc etc.
:thumbup3:

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There's plenty of Research by the Texas Tech that shows the above ground shelters are just as safe as below ground. There are also other advantages to an above ground shelter.

They're hardly a 'coffin' when you buy a good shelter and install it properly. As a matter of fact they've saved plenty of lives from tornado direct hits.

People are just conditioned to believe the underground shelter is the safest because they've always been the most common.

I chose an above ground shelter when I bought my place because two underground shelters at neighboring houses have either flooded or 'floated' to the surface. It's not gonna do you any good if you can't get in it.
I worked survey and remember looking inside a survey magazine back in 1999. I remember the pictures of the destruction from the 99 tornado. It didn’t just level houses. It removed slabs. Entire house slabs. Not all of them. But a portion. Personally I believe an old-school metal reinforced concrete storm cellar that is almost all the way under the ground stands a better chance just from the destruction that I’ve seen. I’ve seen the videos of people demonstrating how good their metal above ground storm shelters are. They demonstrate a potato gun shooting 2 x 4s at it and bouncing off. It’s supposed to represent small debris flying at 200 miles an hour. If they had a crane and were swinging an automobile into it and it held up well I might actually think differently. From my point of view I believe they’re only good for small tornadoes that are passing at a distance. I do not believe they would hold up to an F5 at all

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I worked survey and remember looking inside a survey magazine back in 1999. I remember the pictures of the destruction from the 99 tornado. It didn’t just level houses. It removed slabs. Entire house slabs. Not all of them. But a portion. Personally I believe an old-school metal reinforced concrete storm cellar that is almost all the way under the ground stands a better chance just from the destruction that I’ve seen. I’ve seen the videos of people demonstrating how good their metal above ground storm shelters are. They demonstrate a potato gun shooting 2 x 4s at it and bouncing off. It’s supposed to represent small debris flying at 200 miles an hour. If they had a crane and were swinging an automobile into it and it held up well I might actually think differently. From my point of view I believe they’re only good for small tornadoes that are passing at a distance. I do not believe they would hold up to an F5 at all
I have also seen entire slabs being taken during tornado damage.
If I'm wrong someone correct me but I think the in house above ground shelters have their own foundations that provide much more protection?
We have an inground about 50' out the front door personally. Currently storage for some wine making equipment I don't use anymore and a couple of chairs, water and snacks we cycle. Registered with the County FEMA for location.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have also seen entire slabs being taken during tornado damage.
If I'm wrong someone correct me but I think the in house above ground shelters have their own foundations that provide much more protection?
We have an inground about 50' out the front door personally. Currently storage for some wine making equipment I don't use anymore and a couple of chairs, water and snacks we cycle. Registered with the County FEMA for location.
At the moment we don’t have one. I don’t mind playing the odds because approximately only 150 people countrywide die due to tornadoes. About the same as lightning. That said I would still like to have a storm cellar. If we get around to building a new house and prices ever get back to normal I want one that’s kind of a combination root cellar basement, tornado shelter / World War II bunker under the house. Accessible via the house with another way to get out the side of the house. Growing up when I was young in New England most all houses had a basement designed like that. I know Oklahoma red clay makes that difficult but I would like something like that. But instead of having wood trusses be a solid concrete ceiling style bunker under the house.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What you going to do about the F3 or F4 that blows your house away hide in the bathtub. don't discourage anyone from protecting there self. anything helps.
Sounds like wishful thinking. Anything helps???? LOL. About as good as hugging a tree in a lightning storm. Sounds like Democrat lah lah feel good BS blather. If one hasn’t prepared then they get to follow Darwinizim. That or a sales man selling snake oil of false hope.

Latest posts

Top Bottom