Atlas Storm Shelters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's plenty of Research by the Univ of TX that shows the above ground shelters are just as safe as below ground. There are also other advantages to an above ground shelter.

They're hardly a 'coffin' when you buy a good shelter and install it properly. As a matter of fact they've saved plenty of lives from tornado direct hits.

People are just conditioned to believe the underground shelter is the safest because they've always been the most common.

I chose an above ground shelter when I bought my place because two underground shelters at neighboring houses have either flooded or 'floated' to the surface. It's not gonna do you any good if you can't get in it.
i wasn't referring to above ground shelters as coffins. just the atlas shelter questioned. the texas tech study left much to be desired. they took nothing into consideration like a semi tractor being thrown up against the shelter and crushing it. the study they did was focused on missiles like 2x4's launched at the sides,nothing about crushing. another thing about metal boxes are the risk of electrocution.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK... I have no idea if Atlas is any better or worse than any other. Look for a FEMA or Texas Tech approved shelter and you'll be fine assuming it's properly installed.

Electrocution isn't really an issue, either...for a couple of reasons. First of all, there probably won't be power. If there is, and a line (or even lightning) contacts the shelter you'll be protected due to the Faraday principle of the surrounding steel cage. Pretty much like how you'll be protected in your car or an airplane during a lightning strike.

I'm not trying to argue. But these are all things that were thought of during the development of these approved shelters. I'd prefer to encourage people to protect themselves rather than discourage them.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bear Safes in OKC makes bolt-together “safe rooms.” Their web page says they exceed safe room standards, but they’re not considered storm shelters simply because they don’t go through any of the certification processes for them.

Might be worth a look.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This video was made by a company that sells these above ground shelters.
Video of a Pontiac hitting the shelter starts around 1:25.
I don't know but it does look solid.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't disagree with this but I'm very claustaphopic and will not get into an inground shelter like they set into your garage floors. The oldschool concrete ones placed out in the yard are a little better for me but still don't sit well with me. My thought process is that this modular type is best for a rental house and can also serve a purpose once we are homeowners again. Can't do any inground or permanent above ground stuff where we are now.

What is your suggestion? Bath tub and mattress with two people and two dogs and hope for the best? Serious question.

One big issue is whether your landlord would allow you to have one installed and anchored at the rent house. They may require that you leave the shelter once you have it installed.

garytx

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One big issue is whether your landlord would allow you to have one installed and anchored at the rent house. They may require that you leave the shelter once you have it installed.

Yes, definitely read your rental contract and if in doubt, get a written variance to the contract to allow you to take the shelter with you.

I like these shelters Tornado Alley Armor

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you're claustrophobic you might look into some of the underground fiberglass shelters that are not rectangular. They are white inside and there are no corners so it has a different "feel". I'm not claustrophobic, but a friend of mine who is once said that it wasn't too bad.

Latest posts

Top Bottom