RIA officers mods?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have both and don't notice a lot of difference between the two. If you reload, you could build lighter loads. You could use stiffer springs, but you will want to test them thoroughly for reliability. Also you could use a slide-to-frame recoil buffer that can help a bit, though it may prevent the slide lock feature from working.

Other than that shoot more until you get used to it or if you have something handy you can shoot something heavier recoiling like a .44 Mag for a few shots and then go back to the 1911. It should seem to recoil less.

One other thing. I don't know how experienced of a shooter you are, but your grip can make a lot of difference in the felt recoil and control. You might be able to improve there.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you love the gun, about the only thing to do is have it ported. I'm not a fan of this option, but it is available.

Another option is to get you some grip exercisers and work on your grip strength. The recoil of the .45 acp, even in a small officers model, isn't that harsh.

88gmchog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had gov models before and they shoot good but are just to big for my medium hands lol but the officer fits me like a glove. It's not bad on recoil I just think anything can be improved. thanks for the input guys

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have had gov models before and they shoot good but are just to big for my medium hands lol but the officer fits me like a glove. It's not bad on recoil I just think anything can be improved. thanks for the input guys

A well done grip reduction makes a Gov't or Commander infinitely more comfortable. I think this is especially true if you have medium or small hands.

doctruptwn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll assume that you are having problems with the recoil being too stiff. Is it a tactical model or a GI version. Wrap around grips, beavertail safety, arched MSH are all things that may or may not help. Also depending on the load your shooting, may also change the recoil. There is a modifacation that can be made to the firing pin stop, and a thumb over safety hold can also help. Can you tell us what problem your having and we can get more specific.

Latest posts

Top Bottom