"Ride the Ducks" - Terrible Accident

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We’ve ridden the ducks when the kids were young. If I remember right, life jackets are over each seat mounted on the roof. The plastic curtain probably trapped them. Perfect time for the EDC pocket knife.
My daughter said the life jackets were attached above each seat in the duck she rode a couple weeks ago. She said they were instructed to pull a string to access the life jacket if the need arose. One would think the operator would have given them instructions to put em on as soon as the weather turned. In videos I've seen, it looks like they would've had several minutes to get their life preserver on. Hindsight is always 20/20 I guess.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
My daughter said the life jackets were attached above each seat in the duck she rode a couple weeks ago. She said they were instructed to pull a string to access the life jacket if the need arose. One would think the operator would have given them instructions to put em on as soon as the weather turned. In videos I've seen, it looks like they would've had several minutes to get their life preserver on. Hindsight is always 20/20 I guess.

From the video I saw, it would have been difficult to get out of the boat once it was under.

Cowcatcher

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From the video I saw, it would have been difficult to get out of the boat once it was under.
I asked my daughter about that. I'm thinking the one she rode was different than the one in this incident. She said the one she rode had windows that slide up and down like a school bus and she had hers open.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I asked my daughter about that. I'm thinking the one she rode was different than the one in this incident. She said the one she rode had windows that slide up and down like a school bus and she had hers open.

But once under, opening a window and swimming out and up in that rough water, especially with the boat sinking behind you, would have been difficult even for a strong, grown swimmer.

Cowcatcher

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess that's what I was getting at above with hindsight and such. Everyone should have had their life preserver on and had their window down. But, for that order to have been given, the operator would have needed to know the line between floating and sinking. If the window was keeping the water out, they were sinking. I hope they keep the ride goin and I'd say all in all it's history seems pretty safe but an escape hatch in the roof or no windows (simple openings) would probably be a good recommendation. Although, in this case, they probably shouldn't have gone out or they should've turned for shore sooner, if they had a weather warning.

Or the old saying "Abandon Ship" woulda worked too. It's not difficult to ride out a storm with nothing but a life preserver.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I guess that's what I was getting at above with hindsight and such. Everyone should have had their life preserver on and had their window down. But, for that order to have been given, the operator would have needed to know the line between floating and sinking. If the window was keeping the water out, they were sinking. I hope they keep the ride goin and I'd say all in all it's history seems pretty safe but an escape hatch in the roof or no windows (simple openings) would probably be a good recommendation. Although, in this case, they probably shouldn't have gone out or they should've turned for shore sooner, if they had a weather warning.

Or the old saying "Abandon Ship" woulda worked too. It's not difficult to ride out a storm with nothing but a life preserver.

This is what I think should have happened. When you realized you aren't making headway, and your boat is filling with water, get the people into jackets and get them out.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The lawyers are already lining up and elbowing each other to get to the front of the line. They know a sure thing when they see it but these people were dealt a bad hand. Grandparents with grandchildren, moms and dads with kids. It's a bad day when so many perish-or anyone dies for someone ignoring the weather report.
I think Ripley's owns the Ducks and they have other properties as well, they may lose some of their holdings before all is settled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom