Rifle barrel length question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sight radius not in the equation, is 18" more accurate than 16"

• 18" is more accurate

• 18" is not more accurate

• Equal, quit overthinking EVERYTHING

Results are only viewable after voting.

TSQUARE

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I understand a 16" barrel and an 18" barrel (same quality) in an AR platform, the 18" would be more accurate due to a longer sight radius. Is an 18" barrel more inherently accurate than a 16" in general. The reason I ask is the Tavor platform. It comes in 16" & 18" lengths, but the sight radius is the same. Will the 18" be more accurate in this case?

jc5420

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Two different barrels with different accuracy potential. Pick one based on what you want, shorter, or a cat hairs more velocity.

Last edited by a moderator:

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All other things being equal, and that's hard to actual do, but anyway, shorter barrels are more accurate due to less flex/harmonics since they will be stiffer.

Mkokc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My 14.5" AR barrels will bang 18" steel all day long at 200 and 300 yards, never noticed any accuracy lost with those, and I don't mind having the shorter rifles, jmo

TSQUARE

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm just curious. The bullpup tavor design is already short. I didn't know if going with an 18" was a "no brainer" since it would yield more accuracy but still be shorter than a 16" AR.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm just curious. The bullpup tavor design is already short. I didn't know if going with an 18" was a "no brainer" since it would yield more accuracy but still be shorter than a 16" AR.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

No diff I accuracy at all, and prob 75-100 FPS diff total, which is nothing. If you haven't shot a Tavor much it's really diff and a really heavy slut while off the shoulder. That along with the def upgrade of the trigger. Great rifle, but I'd look more toward the XM-95 which will cut some weight.

I had mine for a while and ran it in 2 run and guns, just too heavy to lug. Scoped with a 1-6 it shot well but the height over bore sucked on the VTAC wall. I had an aftermarket trigger that helped greatly but cost $350. I dumped it and built a lightweight AR that out preforms it in every category other than overall length.

Latest posts

Top Bottom