Rifle bipod/tripod

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crag83

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't really think of this, but do I need a tripod or bipod when I coyote hunt? I see individuals on tv that set up with at the stand with their rifle on the pod. I am pretty confident that I can shoot without one, but I may startle the coyote raising the weapon. I don't like to point my weapon at anything until I am getting ready to shoot. I guess that is the military safety in me. Any thoughts?

Davs2601

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I made a bipod out of two square 1/4" pieces of wood. Bolt with wingnut 2" from top. Drilled hole on bottom and inserted a nail and filled in with epoxy putty. Rattle can camo. Its cheap and qorks great. You adjust the height by spreading the legs father or closer together. Give that a try it wont cost much at all

two-click

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Look at the Bog Pod,I use one for everything they work great.I also use a cross stik that is made of aluminum that comes apart in 3 pcs held together with a shock cord,has a carrying pouch that has a belt loop

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I sit so I just use my knees as a rest as long as you have something to lean up against. Lay your rifle on one knee so when Mr. Yote shows up you don't hae to move much to get on him. Later,

Kirk

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never used a bipod or shooting sticks that are commercially sold.
Usually I'll find a stick of wood on the way in,(doesn't even have to be straight) and just grip the top of it with the hand and use the hand as a front rest, like a monopod. Cheap way to go, and throw it away when leaving. Recycling at it finest:D

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with CM. Bipods and crossed sticks are a pain in the rear to move around when you need to get a shot off quick. I am posting a pic of a coyote I shot tonight. He was 150+ yrds and I just had a second to stop him and shoot. You can see my rifle rest laying on the coyote. I used forked saplings for years, as the second pic shows, but this one adjusts in length and makes a nice walking stick going into and out of the stand and if you need to move one way or the other to shoot, you can tilt the bottom of the monopod up with your forearm hand very easy. If you need more height you can lean into the gun and it raises the sight pic or lean back to lower. I bet I have killed 50 coyotes using a forked stick or this monopod and some out to 250 yrds. It is plenty of rest for most distances that you will shoot, especially if you use a knee propped up with the monopod against it.

ai35.photobucket.com_albums_d168_imhntn_2011_01_08172238.jpg

ai35.photobucket.com_albums_d168_imhntn_Coyotes_IMG_0351.jpg

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a Primos trigger stick in bi pod form. I used it during rifle season and liked it. It adjusts rapidly and if you don't want to use then its not attached to the rifle.

Tyson C.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i had problems with getting the right hight at times with my harris' or some cheap twist centerpoints. i got a pair of sticks off MR. THE MAN (Daniel) and think they work great for me. i have not seen him on here in a while, but search his name and hit him up. but they are basically the fiberglass rods used for running electric fence (probably find this stuff at any local farm surplus store (atwoods). they have a solid pointed end on one end to help stick into the ground and some fuel line cut and slid over the top on the other to help hold them together. they just scissor apart and the gun rests in the middle. i would say they are roughly 4' long over all and that lets me shoot from my knees, to my belly. what i have learned depending on my panoramic view of the area i'm watching, is i stick one leg in the ground and the other just on top of the ground, that way i can adjust from there. not only that but they make a handy walking stick.

i1222.photobucket.com_albums_dd500_TKC78_yote20101.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom