rifle transport

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeller

Marksman
Reaction score
I have a rifle transport question, and yes I've read the statute but I don't speak lawyer or legislator, neither of which is American English:soapbox:!

In Oklahoma, is a rifle loaded with a full magazine and empty chamber? Or is it unloaded? I know in other states that constitutes an unloaded rifle but I don't understand the gibberish in the statute. I do understand the allowable differences between CCW permit holders and not, I think.

dak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Illegal to have a mag in if you don't have a CCW

With a CCW you can have a mag in but not a round in the chamber

The whole separation of ammo/mag and firearm deal will net you a bunch of different answers, I keep mine separate in my car/trunk to be on the safe side.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can have the loaded magazine in the seat right next to a rifle that does not have a chambered round and be legal.
Same goes for pistol. You do not have to have a CCW.

Here is the regulation taken from the Okla dept of wildlife web site.

Transportation of Firearms & Crossbows

Except as otherwise provided, no person may transport a loaded firearm in a land or water motor vehicle. "Loaded firearm" shall mean any firearm that has live rounds in an inserted clip, attached magazine, cylinder or chamber, or a capped muzzleloader with a loaded powder charge and bullet.

Muzzleloaders may be transported with a loaded powder charge and bullet as long as the gun is uncapped or battery is disconnected.

Crossbows may not be transported in a motorized vehicle unless uncocked or disassembled.

Latest posts

Top Bottom