Ruger LCR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wife wanted a pocket pistol, bought her the .380 LCP, took it out to Oil Capital to break it in/test for reliability earlier this year. Fired just over 200 rds. with the first FTF happening at round number 78. I'd disassembled, cleaned and lubed the pistol as instructed by the manual that came with it. I had got bored firing six shot strings and had started firing three quick shots into an IPSC target chest "A' zone , then passing the pistol over to my weak hand and firing the final three in the mag into the head "zone" from nine feet distance. It shot to the point of aim, plenty good . The failure-to-feed stoppages were quickly fixable by the "slightly withdraw-the slide-and-release", technique. It happened four times, as I recall after the first time, as the pistol got drier and dirtier. I felt pretty confident that a freshly cleaned and lubed Ruger LCP would run when needed. Hell, I might have caused the first failure with a weak grip after trying to pass it over to my weak hand too fast. The old "limp-wrist-screwed-up-the-slide-inertia", cause. I just noticed you posted about the LCR, not the LCP. My mistake, I was'nt trying to thread hijack, sorry.

farmer17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"What this country needs....is a good two hundred dollar .38 snubnose"!!!

Since the Ruger is made of polymer, castings, and stampings you would think it shouldn't cost much more than 200 bucks, but it costs over double that like a similar Smith&wesson 642/442. For that much money I would much rather buy the refined and proven Smith.

rh6585

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
how much are you guys paying for the LCR? Mine was only $430 out the door. almost exactly what I was quoted for the s&w. Don't see the big difference in price everybody is talking about.

rh6585

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I feel the same about the s&w. why pay the same price for the older, heavier gun. If I have to pay the same, I'll take the newest technology/ lightest weight I can find. I can carry this gun loaded with 38+p and can hardly tell I even have it and from what I understand the Ruger has the better trigger pull. Oh well, obviously people have their favorite brands, but from everything I have read from people who own/ have shot the LCR, they say nothing but great things about them. On the other hand, I would like to have one of the s&w also.

skyydiver

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm on the other side of the fence. For the same price, give me the proven J-frame airweight. Just right size and weight for my pocket, and proven quality. I'd gladly go with the cheaper-to-build plastic and cast Ruger for 250-300, as their quality is usually good, but I won't pay more for newer technology that is the solution for which I have no problem. I hope they drop the price some, then I'll get excited.

Latest posts

Top Bottom