Ruger M77 30-6 with Leupold 2x7 scope worth

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This was my first center fire rifle. Although mine was a 7mm mag. I bought it at TG&Y in 1980 for $185. Took many deer and elk with it. It would put two 175gr rounds in a black powder cap can at a 100 yards. The third round was always a flyer. I shot that thing like a 22 rifle until the barrel finally went south. Traded it at Gene Sears for my sons 260.
TG&Y was a great store back in the day.

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Buddy of mine was going on deer hunt out of state. He was tied down with work the month before leaving. So he asked me to mount a scope on a M77 in 308 he bought and sight it in. This was late 80's, that thing was a tack driver with several kinds of factory ammo. I loved it, had to have one. Bought 8 of them over a few years and never got one that came half as close to shooting like the one he had. I finally gave up, sold them all and haven't bought a Ruger rifle since. Though I do like alot of their pistols.

Slickwil

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
With the Leopold scope, I could see the owner asking/wanting $1000-1200. For it. I’d offer $600, negotiate from there to whatever price point is acceptable to the buyer/seller. I owned a Ruger M77 chambered in .308 and a .243, twenty years ago. Was very happy with them, fine bolt actions, I think. Prices have gone up, availability has gone down. Have to make your mind up, how bad do you want/need this one?
$700 is the deal. He has to ship to me from New York.

Kandyman

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nope they aren't and its a common topic of discussion . Futzing around with that angled front action screw and too much torque can be a source of heart ache for M77 Owners . The barrels and a few other quirks are some of the reasons Ruger totally redesigned the gun and released the M77MKII which has its own issues , and then the next redesign with the Hawkeye which has turned the rifle into a very accurate and not so fussy gun.
What are the issues with the MKII? I have one but have shot it only a couple times. Thanks