Ruger Mk III's: 22/45 or Classic?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benelli

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am planning to purchase a Ruger Mk III. I definitely want a stainless version, and I like the six inch barrels. My question is whether I should get the 22/45 version or the classic version.

I like the 22/45's grip angle, but I think the classics look much nicer (especially with the cocobolo grips!). Is there any reason to go with one or the other?

Thanks in advance.

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had a couple of the 22/45's with 5 1/2" barrels. No prob with either. Good accurate little guns. I like the look of the classic model better, but they're a little more expensive and the grip angle of the 22/45 matches the 1911, so it should translate a little better for practice to my big gun, at least that's the theory. That's why I went with the 22/45.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My 22/45 was perfect and the price is right. You get down to the guts of the thing and the parts work on either model so I'm not sure why there would be a difference except a few options.

RetCapt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another point to throw into the pot of your mental stew:

If you're like me and can't leave an entirely good firearm alone, the classic will allow for aftermarket grips.

HKBlue3.jpg
[/IMG]

The 22/45 above has been nicely personalized for me by Olyeller; note that the grips are part of the frame. A grip change can be done, such as mounting 1911 grip panels, but it takes significant surgery. Sumpin to think about...

hwhattt

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went to a local shooting spot with buddy and his dad yesterday. We ended up taking 4 ruger .22 to the range. one mark 3 22/45, two mark 2 22/45, and one classic. I have to say all of them shot very well. I liked the classic. I think I will get one and prob. and but a scope on it and leave my 22/45 like it is because it is just like my 1911. If you have a 1911 that you use for home protection or carry on duty I would get the 22/45 because it was made to be a .22 that feels like a .45.

Latest posts

Top Bottom