S&W Model 41

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sold mine, have 4 S&W mags around some where if you're interested, 1 with the orange follower. Great gun and VERY accurate, just more that what I needed at the time.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well that could be dangerous...I'm pretty sure Harley made me an offer I can't refuse so I'll have one before too long.

I'm starting to think this thread was a really good or bad idea.

Tinytim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got interested in these a while back because of a trade deal. While that didn't go through I later found one for sale....looks to be in good shape, but is sold without the mag for 1k. Considering these can fetch a few Benjamins more than that new it makes it really tempting. Anyone got any feedback on this idea? I mean it sounds like an awful lot for a 22 but these are supposed to be the tops when it comes to 22. Even Hickok45 couldn't seem to find anything to not like.
I’ve had quite a bit of time with a 41 in my hand, very finicky with ammo, if you go forward I’d meet somewhere you can run a couple mags through it.
They are great off hand shooters, when they run right.
I’ve got rugers, browning, and my all time favorite the GSG firefly threaded barrel, built on the sig 226 pattern, I’ve bought four (four Daughters) they all get shot, they run flawlessly and are very satisfying to handle (at a 1/3 of the price of a 41.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I owned a recent production Model 41 a few years ago that I traded a Finn M39, a ton of 54R ammo, and some NOS East German bakelite 5.45 mags for. Biggest mistake I ever made. Absolute piece of garbage for a pistol and the worst firearm I have ever owned. Wouldn't run a complete mag of anything, regardless of the ammo, mags, springs, or extractor that I tried. The only fix that I didn't attempt was reaming the chamber.

If you want a reliable rimfire S&W auto, save a few bucks and buy a Victory instead.

forindooruseonly

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have one manufactured in 77 or 78 that my father gave to me as a kid. He was an accomplished bullseye shooter and i don't know if this was one of his competition guns or just one he came up with, but it has seen untold thousands of rounds over the years from me alone.

These were competition guns, not really plinkers. The 46 was a cheaper model, but similar. They like high quality, standard velocity stuff. I don't have any problems shooting CCI Standard out of mine, and when I had to send it in to S&W they used CCI Standard to test the firearm, even though I did not tell them which ammo I was using. Some of the high velocity stuff may beat on the gun a bit, and it may have tolerances too tight for cheap bulk stuff.

The are extremely ergonomic, even if they are rather large. They also have one of the smart disassembly design. Classic gun, you can't really go wrong with one.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That does seem to echo a few comments. Fortunately I have a rather vast 22 collection and lots of different types (including tons of standard velocity) to play with. I suppose when I get it figured out if it likes anything in particular I can always just segment that part off with a note as to what it should be shot with :D

forindooruseonly

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is the one you are looking at the 5.5 inch heavy barrel or the longer 7 inch version? There were a couple of other barrel sizes, but those two are far and away the most common.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a Model 41 for a few years, but sold it as it really wasn’t my cup of tea. I have a Ruger Mark II Government Model that I like a lot more. To each his or her own.

Latest posts

Top Bottom