Samsung Captivate vs. Iphone 4

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you have a captivate this is the rom you want.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=786532

Just flashed cognition 2.1.1 to my captivate GPS and Media scans are now smoking fast, quadrant score posted a 1775.

Back up current rom with clockworkmod rom manager first.
Back up all apps and settings data with Titanium Backup.
Copy zip file to root of SD card and flash using clockwork mod.
Restore your apps and settings using titanium backup.

Enjoy your smoking fast Samsung captivate.

Will you show me how to do that sometime?

Souperphly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
However, three things the Iphone still has better and probably will for awhile yet (at least the next year or so). The resolution of the screen, the ability to see the screen in bright light (which is partly related to resolution, but not completely - it's a separate issue), and the overall quality of the build materials and thus durability (glass screen, steel edges, etc.); lots of metal and very little to no plastic, quite unlike the Samsung.

I value this latter quality-build issue a lot, myself, not the least reason is that a glass screen won't get scratched like a plastic one. If you value one or more of these three things the most, above others, then you'll continue to think that the iphone is superior for some time to come - and you won't be wrong - those are three BIG things. The Android devices have many advantages over the Iphone, and they're soon to overtake it, the way most people value the feature set, but they're not there just yet - IMO.

The galaxy has a gorrila glass screen there's a vid out there of someone putting it in a ziplock with a bunch of metal and shaking it, no scratches.
Although I haven't compared them side by side I have had no issues viewing the screen on my vibrant in sunlight or of angle.

Cacinok

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
i debated the iphone 4 vs captivate for a while and settled on the captivate. the slightly larger screen, plus ability to change just about everything was important as well. there were a number of reviews that complained about reception on the iphone4 even w/ a cover on. i absolutely need great reception as i use my phone to call clients as i travel around the state. w/ my captivate i have noticed a huge increase in reception over my BB bold, both voice and 3g, especially when i travel to watonga and kingfisher for work.

i have had few problems w/ stability.

i did the update a day or so ago, and didn't test the gps until now. sitting in my office - a brick building - the gps was locked and accurate as soon as soon as the map program opened. before, it would search for a lock and not find one if i was inside. the gps, however always worked when i put it in the window of my truck. the navigate function is great.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not making this up man:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=125536833

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/iPhone-4-iPhone-4-screen-Gorilla-Glass,news-7199.html

http://www.talkiphone.com/is-the-iphone-4-fragile-4347/

http://wmpoweruser.com/iphone-4-day-reveals-fragile-device-yellow-screen-and-poor-reception-we-lol/

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...ed_to_challenge_apples_durability_claims.html

http://gizmodo.com/5572546/design-test-note-fragile-beauty

I've seen 3 so far that were shaped like someone's ass just from being accidentally sat on while being in a pocket.

They're far from durable compared to most other cell-phones out there (including the 3GS). Granted, all Touch-screens have an Achilles heel, but the front and back of the iPhone 4 is glass - just doesn't seem conducive to protecting something with your whole life in it to me.

First off, my whole life isn't in it. Even if it were, it's backed up. Buy a new one and sync it all back up.

Still though, those links you provided are biased from competitors or from insurance companies trying to claim the device is flawed so they won't have to pay.
Again, I know a lot of people with the phones, real life examples, all of which have dropped their phones seveap times, myself included, and no one has had a catastrophic failure.

Like I said before, if you enjoy tinkering with your phone to tweak it, bump up the speed, get our GPS to actually work, then something like the Captivate is definitely your choice. You want a super user-friendly phone tha does pretty much everything you need very very well without any hassle then the iPhone is for you.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First off, my whole life isn't in it. Even if it were, it's backed up. Buy a new one and sync it all back up.

Still though, those links you provided are biased from competitors or from insurance companies trying to claim the device is flawed so they won't have to pay.
Again, I know a lot of people with the phones, real life examples, all of which have dropped their phones seveap times, myself included, and no one has had a catastrophic failure.

Like I said before, if you enjoy tinkering with your phone to tweak it, bump up the speed, get our GPS to actually work, then something like the Captivate is definitely your choice. You want a super user-friendly phone tha does pretty much everything you need very very well without any hassle then the iPhone is for you.

Well, don't let the hundreds of online stories from all the "biased" testing sites convince you. Google is your friend, or not if the facts disagree with your opinion I guess.

My GPS hasn't had any issues since I've gotten it (and with shooter, it kicks ass so far since there's a weather station near me). No hassles so far (I am new to mine).

My point was never whose was better - just that the iPhone 4 is far from rugged construction - I've got several 3Gs horror stories too, but I'd say they're a far cry more sturdy than the 4.

I actually use my phones and expect them to last longer than a year, so the iPhone 4 wasn't a good choice for me.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, don't let the hundreds of online stories from all the "biased" testing sites convince you. Google is your friend, or not if the facts disagree with your opinion I guess.

My GPS hasn't had any issues since I've gotten it (and with shooter, it kicks ass so far since there's a weather station near me). No hassles so far (I am new to mine).

My point was never whose was better - just that the iPhone 4 is far from rugged construction - I've got several 3Gs horror stories too, but I'd say they're a far cry more sturdy than the 4.

I actually use my phones and expect them to last longer than a year, so the iPhone 4 wasn't a good choice for me.

Good thing I just set my phone on a stand and look at it and buy a new one every couple months. LOl!!

Also, internet horror stories always need to be taken with a grain of salt. Otherwise, all Glock 22's are junk waiting to Kaboom, AR's won't run with more than 2 specks of dust on them and AK's won't hit the side of a barn from 50 feet. :p

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good thing I just set my phone on a stand and look at it and buy a new one every couple months. LOl!!

Also, internet horror stories always need to be taken with a grain of salt. Otherwise, all Glock 22's are junk waiting to Kaboom, AR's won't run with more than 2 specks of dust on them and AK's won't hit the side of a barn from 50 feet. :p

Yeah that's funny stuff. Wait, I actually pointed out that I've seen several destroyed iPhones in person (just like you've seen several that aren't). My mom works at a school in Edmond, she's seen 4 of them turned in that look like a tank ran over them. I just saw one at Best Buy the other day when I bought my Captivate (they had a guy bring one back in for an insurance claim - he had it in his pocket and was pushed over and just fell on it). It was bent and shattered.

I've got two other friends that went out and picked up the latest Apple Form-over-function iPhone 4s that have spiderweb cracks on the front and back.

Its not rocket science, you make a phone out of more glass than metal (when the previous model was more metal than glass), and its less durable.

Like I said, I use the crap out of my mobile devices and I didn't want an all-glass pretty trinket to carry around - I'm happy with my Captivate based on what I read and what I've seen with it so far. Only time will tell I guess.

Latest posts

Top Bottom