Sand Plums

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sooonerbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anyone here have bushes that produced this year and would be willing to let my father and I pick some? We usually have some out in the Woodward area, but they didn't produce this year due to the late freeze. I am hoping someone out there has some because we like to make jelly out of the plums. I would be willing to pay if anyone has some.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't seen any in my neck of the woods. 2-3 years ago I hit the mother load and I took 2, 5 gallon buckets and I set the bucket on the ground and grabbed handfulls of sand plums at a time and dropped em in the bucket. I filled both buckets in less than an hour never working to get the single and double plums, just getting the easy to reach clumps. I took em to my mother and grandmother and they were amazed that I didn't spend half a day picking that many. They made jelly until every jar was used. They made a few tupperware bowls of juice to freeze. They gave all of the 2nd bucket away. The late freeze knocked all of the blooms off here

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anyone here have bushes that produced this year and would be willing to let my father and I pick some? We usually have some out in the Woodward area, but they didn't produce this year due to the late freeze. I am hoping someone out there has some because we like to make jelly out of the plums. I would be willing to pay if anyone has some.

Man, I was just thinking the same thing. We drove a little around Dover the other day with no luck and also tried several different routes between me and you with the same results. Sad too, my jelly reserves are getting really low and that is my lunch every work day

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
We pick them every summer, except for last year,(very few of them) and this year(plants didn't produce). Pick them usually in July here, usually right after the blackberries.

FakeHuman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We've got tons of the bushes on the property, but none produced this year. My mulberry trees didn't produce this spring either, first time I've seen that happen as far back as I can remember.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We've got tons of the bushes on the property, but none produced this year. My mulberry trees didn't produce this spring either, first time I've seen that happen as far back as I can remember.

Come to think of it, the mulberries didn't produce here either. That is great news. Those danged thing stain the birdshit and then the birds **** everywhere. It would be fine by me if they never reproduced.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Come to think of it, the mulberries didn't produce here either. That is great news. Those danged thing stain the birdshit and then the birds **** everywhere. It would be fine by me if they never reproduced.

True that! I also used to mow for a guy who had one that was never more than 4ft off the ground on the low hanging branches. I had 1 shirt just for mowing his yard and it got a little more purple every time.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have some out here, but are a bit too far to do you much good. We pick them every year - they make the best jelly in the world. There's a couple different types of wild plums that grow here. One is bright red, very firm and looks just like a cherry (sand plum) the other is slightly larger, less lustrous and has a more purple hue (I think these are chickasaw plums). They grow in the same places. I noticed our purplish ones didn't produce near as many this year, but the bright red small ones are doing "OK".

Latest posts

Top Bottom