Propane to Charcoal (for BBQing)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a nice stainless Charbroil propane grill. Missed the charcoal and slow smoke capability so I went and bought a Cookshack electric smoker. When the propane grill needed some parts replaced I just ditched that, sold the Cookshack and bought a Big Green Egg. Utopia achieved! It cooks like no other grill I've ever had, there's just something about that 1" thick ceramic with another 1" thick ceramic firebox inside it.

If I had a propane grill I'd probably still use it for burgers, dogs and sausages, as when the grease drips off you still get some smokiness. Also, I don't like greasing up the BGE with a lot of fat dripping off cheap burgers and with the propane grill I just didn't care about it since it's easy to clean. But for taste nothing compares to a lump charcoal fire in ceramic. Nothing...

I may buy a pellet or offset at some point to do full racks and packer briskets in. The BGE gets kind of tight with longer cuts.

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't like regular propane grills but a good friend of mine gave me a tec infrared grill about 5 years back and it is awesome and convenient I still have the charcoal grills and old school smokers and one electric smoker. its just nice to come home turn on the grill on the way in the house and come back 15 minutes later and cook and honestly you can't tell is was not cooked on charcoal I can even toss wood chips on there and get smoke flavor.

Latest posts

Top Bottom