Propane to Charcoal (for BBQing)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use these tumbleweed things which work great for lighting up. I haven't needed to buy a chimney. Just pop one at the bottom of the charcoal pile and light it up and wait 20 mins.

1331435.webp

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I think I'm late to the trend but has anyone else made this move?

Picked up a Weber and have been experimenting with techniques. So far my steaks are coming out with the nice smoky flavor that was missing from years of propane grilling. I added some wet hickory chips to my last cook and I think it added some extra flavor but they burn up surprisingly fast so timing seems to matter.
You have to move the coals and position the meats accordingly and you have to stand by and watch. No drinking beers, looking at phones, or picking boogers with charcoal/wood unless you can do those activities over the grill...
You also don't need to load up charcoal like you're building a funeral pyre and sending your steaks off on a longship for the journey to Valhalla.
If you have a chimney, you can always add coals if you need to, but you can't really take them away.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pellet smoker for "real" cooking, propane for a quick meal. With all the crap in the bottom of my propane grill I get plenty of smoke! My Camp Chef Sidekick gets over 900° and it runs on propane. And that's measured with an IR thingy on top of the lid. I'm sure it's even hotter at grill level. That's plenty hot enough for searing.

I just picked up this little guy, too. Some kind of Lightning Deal or something on Amazon for $80. Pit Boss twin burner, all stainless. Great for the two of us and really convenient. And I've seen it almost up to 800° when I'm pre-heating it. It works great:

Grill A.jpg

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Mrs spoiled me and got me this beast for my birthday a couple years ago….I really like it. It’s a Pit Boss combination pellet smoker and propane grill so if I want to reverse sear a steak or roast the propane is at the ready as well as for cooking a quick meal ie dogs or brats and vegetables
1695238306668.jpeg

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Picked up a Weber and have been experimenting with techniques. So far my steaks are coming out with the nice smoky flavor that was missing from years of propane grilling. I added some wet hickory chips to my last cook and I think it added some extra flavor but they burn up surprisingly fast so timing seems to matter.
You sir made a switch you will NEVER regret. Gas grilling is light years from the results you get wit charcoal.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You have to move the coals and position the meats accordingly and you have to stand by and watch. No drinking beers, looking at phones, or picking boogers with charcoal/wood unless you can do those activities over the grill...
You also don't need to load up charcoal like you're building a funeral pyre and sending your steaks off on a longship for the journey to Valhalla.
If you have a chimney, you can always add coals if you need to, but you can't really take them away.
Not the case at my house. It’s all about how to build the fire and distributing the charcoal.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Propane is still super fast and convenient but it seems like all the trendy restaurants these days are using wood or charcoal to cook their meats, so charcoal at home lets me get the same results without paying for sit down dining.

Hoping to do a full brisket soon.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score

You have to soak the chips for about a week.

Latest posts

Top Bottom