Sandy Sanders draw hunt 2010

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I drew in for Sandy Sanders either antlered/antlerless gun hunt this year. 35 square miles is a little overwhelming at first. I went out there last week for some pre scouting. It was late in the day when I got there, so I picked a high vantage point to glass a large area. It was beautiful. Some of the area is as wide as 6-7 miles without any road. I found a couple of places that deserved a closer look.
Check in was Friday at noon. I checked in and then donned my hiking boots, binoculars, gps, notepad, and range finder. I was off to gather as much recon as I could in 5 hours. As darkness approached I headed back to the truck. I made sure note how long it took to walk out and how long the drive took, so I would be sure to arrive plenty of time before light.

I am not a writer, and I am getting tired. The rest is a condensed version. Sorry for the guys that like to feel like they are there.

I made it in too my spot at 630, about an hour before legal shooting time. I think I walked a little faster in the dark since I was looking around as much. Almost 12 hours later of sitting in the same spot, moving to stay in the shade of a cedar tree that I was backed up into. I saw this buck headed up the far side of the canyon wall. I had ranged different points all day making mental notes of distances. Looking over a canyon makes distances appear a lot farther. I knew he was in range and one shot from "lil thunder" and he was down. I grabbed the range finder and ranged him at 206 yards and then lined up a point so I could find him. I marked him on the gps and found I was .88 miles southeast from the truck, and what the gps doesn't say is what the terrain is like during that straight line. I was .46 miles west of the "Y intersection" I had marked the week before. I knew right then and there east was the shortest and most likely the easiest way out. Gps elevation difference was 117 feet up from the buck to the road. I think most of that was in the first 120 yards.

Details: 8 point whitetail, biologist said they don't weigh anymore, he said it would probably be 150 dressed. 206 yard shot with a 300 RUM. Time of kill 6:22 in the evening November 6th, 2010 Sandy Sanders WMA.
Didn't get in the field pics, as I was smooth wore out, and didn't have anyone to take a pic at 9:42, yep took about 3 hours to drag the deer out that far. I took a snapshot after I loaded it in the truck to go to camping area to check in and process.
ai106.photobucket.com_albums_m277_hunter_fish_2010buck.jpg

The buck was just left of center on the shelf in this pic.(looking Southeast) I took him out straight east (.46 miles from deer to road) My truck was .77 miles straight north of myself taking the pic. (.88 miles NW of deer)
ai106.photobucket.com_albums_m277_hunter_fish_2010buckf.jpg

ai106.photobucket.com_albums_m277_hunter_fish_2010buckd.jpg

ai106.photobucket.com_albums_m277_hunter_fish_2010bucke.jpg

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks everybody.

Yep I was still a little sore this morning too.

I saw the butt of a mulie before it went into a mesquite thicket. 486 yards away. Mule deer bucks were legal, but does were not. It was just a 2 day hunt and with the temps during the day the deer were laying in the shade during the day. I hated to sit Sunday for another 12 hours and come home empty handed. I watched deer 3 times get up and move around behind the tree to get back in the shade and lie back down during the day.

Survivor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congratulations on a terrific hunt and pictures. Looks like you had a good spotting location in some fairly open areas. Did you have any other hunters disturb you? Thanks again for sharing the hunt with us.

Latest posts

Top Bottom