SBR Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kahrk-9

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have an AR pistol I want to SBR. I have a CAR and was thinking of registering the lower and using it as the lower for the CAR and SBR when not using the pistol lower. Is there ANY reason I might want to buy a separate lower for the SBR so the one that is registered is not my only lower with a stock?
Thanks!

marksmandcs

Marksman
Reaction score
If one of your lowers is a pistol and the other a registered SBR, then any combination you have (CAR upper on pistol lower, pistol upper on SBR lower, etc) will be legal and i wouldn't worry about buying another. Just don't put a stock on the pistol lower, even if you have the CAR upper on. Now, if you had multiple rifle lowers and only SBR'd one of them, then you may have a reason to get nervous. Even though you may not have put the short upper on a non-registered rifle lower, the ATF could say you had the intention of building an illegal weapon (or whatever they dream up). In that case it would be good to do something to show a intenional step towards avoiding the swap. i've never SBR'd an AR but i think a semi-permanant installation of the front take-down pin would show a good intent. I had the idea of drilling and installing a small roll pin to hold the take-down pin in place. Maybe having the upper and lower serialized? Maybe an AR guy will give you some pointers.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Your reading comprehension is lacking, mark. He has an AR pistol lower, and a AR rifle lower (CAR). If he SBR's the pistol lower, then he will have an SBR lower and a rifle lower, which would mean it *would* be possible to have an illegal combination.

As far as making the upper installation permanent on the SBR, I have never heard of doing that before, and know several people with either SBR or Full Auto lowers who have multiple short uppers to use on them; much less a single *permanent* upper.

My understanding (gained from knowledgeable members of this board and my own reading) is that as long as you have rifle length uppers for any rifle lowers, or have SBR/pistol/MG lowers for any short uppers; you are in the clear. IE: don't have spare rifle lowers *and* spare short uppers laying around at the same time.

marksmandcs

Marksman
Reaction score
" I have a CAR and was thinking of registering the lower and using it as the lower for the CAR and SBR WHEN NOT USING THE PISTOL LOWER."

Maybe its your reading comprehention.

marksmandcs

Marksman
Reaction score
Is the name calling necessary? How old are you?

Yes, we must ask which lower did you want to SBR? You said you want to SBR your pistol but also said you want to register the CAR lower. We could give better help if you clarify which you would prefer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom