• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to OKShooters Association and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member

[Sale/Trade] Scammer response

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
And on that note I do a buttload of driving to all corners for work, landmark pictures well begin at $5 a pop.

I do like this idea though, requiring some type of photo proof maybe with a date or time stamp so they can’t pull crap from Google. It could be faked but it would take more effort than most of them want to invest
So playing off this idea a little bit, this is a location-based forum. Is it possible to add a member attribute along the lines of, "Vouched by: $memberName"
ETA: Oh wait nevermind. That's really what the feedback system is. Do people use it?

Pragmatically, it is nigh an impossibility. Using a system of alternate accounts, I can provide feedback from Jimbob#1, Jimbob#2, etc. I can even provide pictures of "us" to show "we're" real. Whatever you want to require, the scammer can get past it. Unless YOU personally know/vouch for the accounts that have provided feedback, you're ultimately taking a risk. FtF minimizes this risk.*

*Yes, accounts can be compromised. Double check that the recent posting behavior matches the historical account behavior. Only YOU can prevent yourself from being scammed.

Last edited:

rjbrooks7

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I will also add a note that I’ve had 2 experiences in the last few weeks where I had put my cell number and was asked by phone I would meet at the buyer at x location (Apartment complex both times) for a higher price than listed. So just keep your wits about y’all, and if you ever feel like you need a buddy for security get in touch with one of the other Okshooters guys (and gals) you know to go with you for safety👍
Thanks to Tinder, I regularly meet up strange (usually just women-usually) people at apartment complexes. Any of y’all wanna tag along, that’s fine, but I ain’t battin cleanup

Chaparral

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I will also add a note that I’ve had 2 experiences in the last few weeks where I had put my cell number and was asked by phone I would meet at the buyer at x location (Apartment complex both times) for a higher price than listed. So just keep your wits about y’all, and if you ever feel like you need a buddy for security get in touch with one of the other Okshooters guys (and gals) you know to go with you for safety👍
Meeting in an apt complex and offering higher price are two red flags for me. We really have to be careful. Meeting in an area with known bad actors in the area is another non-starter for me. I also do not like meeting in my own neighborhood unless I know the people. Too many people are searching for where you live. Be cautious out there.

Kev1Doggy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Meeting in an apt complex and offering higher price are two red flags for me. We really have to be careful. Meeting in an area with known bad actors in the area is another non-starter for me. I also do not like meeting in my own neighborhood unless I know the people. Too many people are searching for where you live. Be cautious out there.
I have used the TPD on hwy 75 and 36th st north many times, its easy to get in and out of and right there. No problems at all!

KroyWen

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I agree w Matt Giroux's idea for FTF security. Additionally, you can request a FTF meeting in the parking lot of the local Police Department. I've done that several times, at both buyers/seller's/ or my request if not too sure. Demonstrates some degree of ' Legitimacy ' and will scare away most sketchy dudes. Police Department parking , outside the front doors, usually is video monitored, and has Officer foot traffic in & out.
Bad guy disinfectant, repels but does not necessarily prevent. Keep your Spidey senses keen . 😎

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
190   0   0
So playing off this idea a little bit, this is a location-based forum. Is it possible to add a member attribute along the lines of, "Vouched by: $memberName"
ETA: Oh wait nevermind. That's really what the feedback system is. Do people use it?

Pragmatically, it is nigh an impossibility. Using a system of alternate accounts, I can provide feedback from Jimbob#1, Jimbob#2, etc. I can even provide pictures of "us" to show "we're" real. Whatever you want to require, the scammer can get past it. Unless YOU personally know/vouch for the accounts that have provided feedback, you're ultimately taking a risk. FtF minimizes this risk.*

*Yes, accounts can be compromised. Double check that the recent posting behavior matches the historical account behavior. Only YOU can prevent yourself from being scammed.
We do use the feedback system. I encourage everyone to leave feedback. It may be the only tool we have that separates the good guys from the bad guys. It takes us a notch higher than armslist too.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
190   0   0

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I've seen a few people posting strings of one liner comments on memes etc over the last few months. Appear to me as building the post count for no reason other than trying to fake some legitimacy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom