Screwed Over by a Towtruck Company, Any Recourse?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was picking up my second vehicle that my little brother managed to get towed in Chandler, Ok. This is one of the worst experiences of my life.

Long story short I asked the business owner what the slew of charges were for and he showed me a book of all the fees he could legally charge me. I checked the bill to see if the fees were matching up with the guidelines. He gets offended that I was going through the bill thoroughly and asked if I was 'questioning his charges' I said 'no but I want to make sure everything is correct'.

He took the bill out of my hand and names off all these extraneous charges that he could "technically" charge me, then he scribbles out the total and writes in a higher total. After detesting the extra fees I knew there wasnt much I could do.

He asked me what I was going to do about it and If I was going to call the police. Police only handle criminal matters so I told him Im not calling the cops. He was definitely trying to egg me into getting riled up. He named all these regulations and stuff that gave tow truck companies power to keep your car until the fees are paid. I told him he was a POS and he kicked me out of his business.

After paying all the extra fees I finally got my car back. Is there anything a consumer can do about situations like this? I feel screwed and powerless....

(I know this is not written too well but Im fuming from this incident)

Last edited:

cowboydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You have already paid, probably not much you can do. Since your brother has a habit of getting your cars towed, maybe next time record the owner being an a$$hat and threatening to charge extra. Depending on exactly what he said you might have some pretty good leverage. I'm sure one of the news stations would be interested in something like that. Or just post it on youtube.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He was definitely stroking his ego by sticking it to the consumer. I wonder if I could dispute the extra fees on my CC and just keep the initial charge on their. hmmm

dyabolical

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From what i understand he has committed fraud by basically holding your possessions hostage. I have been told that pretty much all towing services have to charge the same amount for any given fee, so by him adjusting and hand writing a cost total he is violating some law. I just do not have any clue as to how you go about fixing the issue. Maybe ODoT would like to hear about it?

Edit. And the BBB is not a reliable organization. As it has been shown in years past, many fraudulent companies have somehow ended up with very high BBB ratings.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Edit. And the BBB is not a reliable organization. As it has been shown in years past, many fraudulent companies have somehow ended up with very high BBB ratings.

I agree as they can dispute your dispute and other stuff, but it will be there for a bit and is a pain.

Sucks that tow co. has folks by the nads, but you don't have a choice when you are paying the daily fee. They don't care and your car will still be there however long it takes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom