SDA or LEOSA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongo

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am needing to know which I fall under. Now for the background. I am a State Correctional Officer and I am also CLEET Certified as a police officer. What I need to know for sure is if I need to go through the process of getting my CCW lic. of would I fall under the fed. law of LEOSA?

I have heard that I could go either way depending on who I talk too. You all's help would be greatly appreciated.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you meet ALL of these requirements?

In accordance with 18 USC 926B,[4] a "qualified law enforcement officer" means an employee of a governmental agency who:
1. Is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of, or the incarceration of any person for, any violation of law, and has statutory powers of arrest, or apprehension under section 807(b) of title 10, United States Code (article 7(b) of the Uniform Code of Military Justice);

2. Is authorized by the agency to carry a firearm;

3. Is not the subject of any disciplinary action by the agency which could result in suspension or loss of police powers;

4. Meets standards...established by the agency which require the employee to regularly qualify in the use of a firearm;

5. Is not under the influence of alcohol or another intoxicating or hallucinatory drug or substance; and

6. Is not prohibited by Federal law from receiving a firearm.

mongo

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
SMS: yes I do meet all of the qualification's.

1911master: That me be the route I go. I guess it is better to be safe than sorry.

Thank you all for the help.

skruball253

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. Is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of, or the incarceration of any person for, any violation of law, AND has statutory powers of arrest , or apprehension under section 807(b) of title 10, United States Code (article 7(b) of the Uniform Code of Military Justice);

As a Correctional Officer I would think "the statutory power of arrest" would be a NO regarding the LEOSA.

Latest posts

Top Bottom