Seasoning Deer Steaks?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GusMan405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm grilling some deer steaks tonight. I always season my grilled red meat with my own rub that consists of kosher salt, cracked black pepper, garlic powder, paprika, and a dash of chili powder. The. I marinate in a little Worcestershire sauce for 30 minutes before throwing them on the grill.

I'm curious how you guys season your deer steaks?

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Find some "Lawry's Meat Marinade". Any IGA, Albertson's and some Wal-Mart stores carry it. It will be in the dry seasoning aisle with the chili/meatloaf/spaghetti seasonings. Marinate the steaks double strength overnight in the fridge. Grill and shake on Montreal Steak Seasoning (in the spice aisle) each time you turn it. DO NOT OVERCOOK!!! Most people hate venison because it's too dry. If you cut it too thin or overcook it, it will be too dry. Good luck!

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I season them the same way I do my beef. Jack/Rotel/Worcestershire marinade for 24 hour. Brush on olive oil (both sides), rub my special seasoning blend on (both sides), let sit for 30 minutes while the grill warms up.

Important thing is to remember that there is nearly zero fat on venison, which is why it doesn't retain moisture very well when cooking. You really can't go much past medium rare and not get a tough steak.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Plowboys Bovine...make sure it is Bovine....not the pork/bbq rub.

Put it on 30 minutes to an hour before you grill.

acc_plowboys_bbq_bovine_rub.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom