Seat Belt Laws?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can anyone help with the seat belt laws?

My wife got a ticket for not wearing hers properly. The trooper told her she needed a note from a Dr to get the ticket dropped. She cant use the seat belt over her shoulder when driving due to her pacemaker protruding and it causes a couple of problems.

First, it rubs and causes a sore. Even when we have used padding to protect the "lump".

Second is the real problem, the Cardio Dr said due to the way it pokes out, a small fender bender could shove the PM back into her chest enough to break the small wires going to her heart. He said that would not be good. The risk of a low speed accident is worse than putting the shoulder belt under her arm out of the way. Anything that would deploy airbags and the PM problem is the least of the worries.

Today we went to take the Dr's note to the court house and the fella said to bad. I asked how she was supposed to drive and the reply was wear the belt properly, do not drive, or pay the $20 any time they decide to stop her.

So now after having this PM for 6 years we find out my wife cant legally drive due to the seat belt issue, what a kick in the pants. Not like she did not have one on, just worn wrong. When she is a passenger she wears the belt correctly.

The nice fella did dismiss the $20 ticket, but made her pay $20 court cost. I was not happy, how do people that do not fit in a seat belt drive? Are those goofy wal-mart seat belt extenders legal? If not are fat dudes not allowed to drive in Oklahoma?

Look at my avatar, I am legal to drive but only do so rarely. Our Daughter does about 98% of all our driving. My wife got the ticket taking our Daughter to the Dr after foot surgery to be cleared to drive again. Now how is that for ironic. :)

So does anyone know if we were told properly that NO ONE in Oklahoma can legally drive without a properly worn seat belt even with a medical exemption?

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are there medical exemptions and how do I get one? Exemptions may be requested by persons who, for medical reasons, are unable to wear a safety belt. To apply for this exemption, the person must submit a written application to the Commissioner of the Department of Public Safety requesting an exemption, including written verification from their physician attesting to the need for the exemption. If the request is approved, a special notation will be placed on the person's driver license to indicate the exemption from the safety belt law. I
link https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...FO.pdf&usg=AFQjCNFdVpxu7fcByjwySAkomPk3ejF7EQ

Travis798

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm no help on this but this is one of the many reasons I consider myself a Libertarian. I find it hard to argue that seat belts are public safety. They are a personal safety device. At no point, should the Government feel the need, or be able to, dictate what I can or can not do based on my personal safety. If an adult does not wish to wear their seat belt, it should be personal choice. If they have children, they should be responsible for those children and make the decision on whether or not they should wear safety belts. If someone else is transporting your children, they should abide by your wishes or you should not let them transport them.

Most cops I know refuse to write a seat belt ticket because they believe in personal freedom. OHP is mandated to write tickets for it, at least as a secondary violation. I've never been pulled over strictly for seat belt by OHP, but I have received a ticket when pulled over for speeding. The only good thing is that in Oklahoma, the ticket is only $20 and not the hundreds of dollars in some other states.

Sorry for the rant, but seat belt laws really rub me the wrong way. No pun intended.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personal liberty is all well and good when the consequences for ones actions lie on them alone.

If you want to remove the mandate that the medical field must provide care for all comers, stupidity and bad decisions notwithstanding, thereby leading to society bearing the cost of that burden, by all means... delegislate safety devices, decriminalize all drugs, etc. This isn't simply a money-generating issue for state law enforcement.

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are there medical exemptions and how do I get one? Exemptions may be requested by persons who, for medical reasons, are unable to wear a safety belt. To apply for this exemption, the person must submit a written application to the Commissioner of the Department of Public Safety requesting an exemption, including written verification from their physician attesting to the need for the exemption. If the request is approved, a special notation will be placed on the person's driver license to indicate the exemption from the safety belt law. I
link https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwim5rXE19rLAhWGQyYKHSB3AHUQFggcMAA&url=http://ok.gov/ohso/documents/Safety%20Belt%20Law%20NFO.pdf&usg=AFQjCNFdVpxu7fcByjwySAkomPk3ejF7EQ

Thanks I just found that myself. So this guy who I asked several times is either ignorant of this or just lied. I will print this out ans hand it to him, ,then if he tells the next person the same thing he told us it will be a lie. All he had to do was explain this and let her see what the Commissioner folks have to say. Easy Peasy, but hey Osage County got $20 she needs for meds, that is all under the guise of safety. Blah.....

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personal liberty is all well and good when the consequences for ones actions lie on them alone.

If you want to remove the mandate that the medical field must provide care for all comers, stupidity and bad decisions notwithstanding, thereby leading to society bearing the cost of that burden, by all means... delegislate safety devices, decriminalize all drugs, etc. This isn't simply a money-generating issue for state law enforcement.

I agree to a point, but just how far does that $20 go? Does it help offset the cost of medical treatment for those who cant pay when tossed through a windshield and live?

If this is for safety why no helmet laws? I am sure you have seen what happens when car VS bike some times a helmet may have helped.

Kyle78

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dave, call Driver License Services at 405 425 2034. They should be able to help your wife get that excemption.

Seat belts do save untold amount of lives, it's all physics.

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dave, call Driver License Services at 405 425 2034. They should be able to help your wife get that excemption.

Seat belts do save untold amount of lives, it's all physics.

Oh I agree with them working. The thing is a broken wire in the pacemaker after bumping a car in a parking lot could cause her a lot of problems. Why the trooper did not mention this or the guy dealing with the tickets is my question.

Thanks for the number, I was looking for one and my google foo is failing me tonight, all I came up with is a way to get my driving record, I know mine it is blank. My wife now has a seat belt ticket that was dismissed. :) We are serious rebels. LOL

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Don't forget the effect on everyone else's insurance rates as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom