Seat Belt Laws?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis798

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personal liberty is all well and good when the consequences for ones actions lie on them alone.

If you want to remove the mandate that the medical field must provide care for all comers, stupidity and bad decisions notwithstanding, thereby leading to society bearing the cost of that burden, by all means... delegislate safety devices, decriminalize all drugs, etc. This isn't simply a money-generating issue for state law enforcement.

And here I thought society was paying bearing the cost of that burden now? At least the hospitals will claim they have to charge $12 for an aspirin to offset the costs of those that don't pay? Personally, if I get injured due to not wearing a safety belt, I will bear the burden. I have auto insurance that will cover a large chunk of the cost, and private health insurance to pick up the rest. If they both don't cover it combined, I'm still on the hook for the remained, chased by debt collectors, credit rating destroyed, etc.

How exactly do mandated safety belts help society as a whole? I'm not arguing whether or not they work. I'm sure they save countless lives. If it's all for the public well being, people die in collisions every day. Lets just set the speed limit at 15mph and be done with it. While we are at it, we can mandate that any shoes made on or after Jan 1, 2017 be safety toed, to help eliminated stubbed and broken toes in the name of public safety. That will continue to help our government protect us from ourselves.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hear and acknowledge the mandated medical care and mandated insurance issues - the problem with each is that it is mandated. The State declares you need X-coverage and therefore you must comply with Y-regulations that only exist to support X. It is a circular reasoning.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree to a point, but just how far does that $20 go? Does it help offset the cost of medical treatment for those who cant pay when tossed through a windshield and live?

If this is for safety why no helmet laws? I am sure you have seen what happens when car VS bike some times a helmet may have helped.
The $20 doesn't help pay much of anything... the law is a deterrent to help decrease the public outlay of expense for uninsured and underinsured people who are injured while not wearing belts. Whether it makes that much difference is an argument for another day, but that was the intent of the law. Same argument applies to murdercycles.

I have no problem with liberty, with making personal choices, as long as you bear the responsibility for the consequences. Don't make me, or the system, pay for your poor choices. That's fine. I see the same people over and over and over and over, who continue to make poor choices that cost the system thousands, tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands of dollars - with zero consequences.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its actually set up as a way to initiate a stop, just like the texting/phone use laws
Why should I or anyone else pay for some others indiscretions, by wearing a seat belt
It may very well work to prevent injuries

Left lane campers...UNITE.... ;/

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The $20 doesn't help pay much of anything... the law is a deterrent to help decrease the public outlay of expense for uninsured and underinsured people who are injured while not wearing belts. Whether it makes that much difference is an argument for another day, but that was the intent of the law. Same argument applies to murdercycles.

I have no problem with liberty, with making personal choices, as long as you bear the responsibility for the consequences. Don't make me, or the system, pay for your poor choices. That's fine. I see the same people over and over and over and over, who continue to make poor choices that cost the system thousands, tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands of dollars - with zero consequences.

So, if I can prove I'm not uninsured, and have adequate coverage, the cop should let me go?

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmm... interesting. I never get speeding tickets. I don't get pulled over a *lot*... maybe 3-4 times a year. Actually less in the last year, I'd guess.

Latest posts

Top Bottom