Self checkout

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
So now you know why younger generations of workers are not playing the 'fool' like so many of us did during our working careers. Kids these days refuse to be 'slaves' to the corporation!
So many on here bad-mouth those that don't bust their azz or have absolute employee loyalty to their boss . . . yet at the same time complain how badly they themselves were treated by their employer or wonder if the now broken body they have was worth the effort.
Some kids these days are still living at home making excuses for not working and many parents are enabling them. I swear some of you sound like liberal democrats have infiltrated the forum.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Then why has the losses in stores with self-checkouts skyrocketed?? Thieves are gonna thieve. That does not mean I should scan and bag my own groceries. Yes, this is the hill I will die on. It's bad enough I have to pump my own gas. 😠
Having self-checkout or live cashiers is irrelevant when it comes to shoplifting losses because the thieves don't use either one (scanning items at self-checkout or using a live cashier). A self-checkout setup using 1-cashier to watch over 4-self-checkout machines is less expensive for the store than having to pay 4-cashiers to each run their own cash register.
Average wage for retail cashier in Oklahoma is $12.20/hr. So one cashier for 4-self-checkout lanes = $12,20/hr versus four individual live cashiers = $48.80/hr (total).
It's not about YOUR convenience, it's all about store profitability (keeping those shareholders happy).

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Having self-checkout or live cashiers is irrelevant when it comes to shoplifting losses because the thieves don't use either one (scanning items at self-checkout or using a live cashier). A self-checkout setup using 1-cashier to watch over 4-self-checkout machines is less expensive for the store than having to pay 4-cashiers to each run their own cash register.
Average wage for retail cashier in Oklahoma is $12.20/hr. So one cashier for 4-self-checkout lanes = $12,20/hr versus four individual live cashiers = $48.80/hr (total).
It's not about YOUR convenience, it's all about store profitability (keeping those shareholders happy).

Oh I never thought for one second they did it for little ol'me. When Wal-Mart gives me an app like Sam's has and I can scan my stuff as I put it in my basket, and skip the entire check-out disaster then I might go back to shopping at Wal-Mart. But ... It's been about 20 years since I've been in a Wal-Mart so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on it to happen.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some kids these days are still living at home making excuses for not working and many parents are enabling them. I swear some of you sound like liberal democrats have infiltrated the forum.
Politics has nothing to do with it. I agree that some kids are just lazy and some kids believe that there is more to life than busting their azz like their parents did.

If I had it to do all over again I certainly would pick jobs that were less labor intensive - it's called working smarter instead of harder. I think that a lot of you would do the same, even if you won't admit it.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, and then we can have the next argument about why prices are so high....
of course, though again, it's likely not a singular cause.

Wal-mart's CEO made north of $23 million last year, i believe. I am not faulting him, but i'm sure he is thrilled that higher prices are discussed in the context of raising employee wages and not his take home pay.

Latest posts

Top Bottom