Self defense shotgun for the missus.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEEPr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Throwing a question out there for all you guys with a missus and especially the missus. I am looking to get her a self defense shotgun. She has limited knowledge of firearms. (thanks to being raised in California). I have taught her a lot and she is becoming more comfortable around firearms now. She's getting good with a .45 but she expressed interest in having a shotgun. I have a bird gun (Rem 1100) I have trained her on, but it has a pretty long barrel and is hard to maneuver inside the house. Looking for something more maneuverable and will fit her well. I'm leaning towards a semi-auto rather than pump, What advise do y'all have? Make, Model, Etc.. Thanks for your input.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally I'm not a fan of shotguns for home defense with the exception of maybe a 20 gauge but even then. If you live somewhere where a load of buckshot can go through an interior wall, exterior wall or both without endangering other people then it's an option but otherwise I don't use them. Too many people have been brainwashed into thinking a shotgun will magically get rid of bad guys by racking the slide or sheer intimidation or because a shotgun is a general point and shoot gun that doesn't require aiming like a rifle or handgun and it's all totally false.

I find them bad choices for women especially because they do kick harder than other options, reloading is slow and they are long and difficult to move through a house without a lot of specific training. If you live where over penetration isn't an issue and she's comfortable with the recoil of buckshot (birdshot is not an option in any form) and she's well trained/skilled in reloading on the fly and proper operation and understands a shotgun doesn't really have any of the mystical powers attributed to them, then go for it but I suspect with her limited knowledge of guns she's suffering from the shotgun brainwashing and wouldn't want one for home defense if she knew better.

If she's not comfortable with a handgun, a lightweight AR using ammo designed not to go through multiple walls like Hornady TAP (I HIGHLY recommend Hornady TAP as THE home defense ammo). Most people think an AR is going to send rounds through the bad guy and out through the wall and into something they don't want to hit and with other ammo, that is a real possibility but Hornady TAP is far different stuff. It's the best home defense ammo available for the AR and it won't penetrate walls as far as a 9mm, .40S&W or .45acp. Check out the various YouTube videos on penetration of handgun calibers vs AR's using Hornady TAP, it'll amaze you. You can build/buy a lightweight AR15 that will recoil less, weigh less, offer far more capacity, much easier to reload and give you a far safer environment in respect to the over penetration.

Just my opinion...

44minimum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A Mossberg Bantam youth model in 20gauge might work. The barrel is fairly short, 21 inches, I think, it holds five rounds and the length of pull is shorter. But it is a pump. They also have a dedicated self-defense shotgun with a 20 inch barrel and I think an eight round magazine. It is a pump also.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Mossberg 500 in the bedroom at the end of the hallway. Also have several pistols in there. They can have anything in the house they want, except the dogs and me. The little dog sleeps on a old sweatshirt of mine, next to my side of the bed. The big dog sleeps in the hallway. If they get to the bedroom door and open it their day (and mine) is gonna get real messed up.

Oh ... it had a "bumper pad" also ... :P Very comfortable ... a little long, but it's manageable ... even when I "hurry" ...

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know you want a semi, but here's my advice: Get the oldest, cheapest 870 2-3/4" 12 or 20ga from a garage sale, pawn shop or on OSA. The older, usually the smoother. Have an Armorer* go though it for reliability, function and feed check etc. Get a/shorten the barrel to 18". Add a short or pistol stock to your liking. Teach and train the missus to use it. An 870 will eat everything and if you are worried about over penetration, use low- recoil 00B or birdshot. (DO NOT overlook bird shot as a home defense round, you should see what it does to the human body at home defense distances). And of course you can mix loads and load hot loads without sacrificing reliability. FWIW
* I will do this for FREE if you would like.

spazzwarr

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My self defense shotguns are all 12 ga. pumps with 18.5 in. barrels. They include a Mossberg 500 with a recoil reducing stock, a Charles Daly field (Norinco Remington 870 clone) and a Bullpup Rem 870 that is total length about 28 in.. The Bullpup is a lot easier to navigate in CQB. It is well balanced and I can shoot it better one handed than the other two. If I had it to do over, and I may still get one, I would get a youth 20 ga. semi-auto. Semi-auto is better if for some reason you can only use one hand (injury, trying to to secure a child while defending). 20 ga. should stay on target better for 2nd shot. In the heat of action, a novice may forget to re-chamber a round with the pump as they may look to see what the threat is doing. 12 ga.'s noise profile is loud. 20 ga. has a lower noise profile. You may need all the hearing you can have, to ascertain what is going on with your family, friends, etc. in other rooms. I guess we could nit-pik isues like the flash in darkeness. I have never done a comparison of 20 ga vs 12 ga. flash, I would have to think the 20 ga. is less. Of course with all this said, you do have a less stopping power with the 20 ga. This is my experience and humble opinion after some experience with my 12 gauge pumps, training clearing a 2 story house and experience with my fathers shot gun, a 6 round 20 ga bolt action shotgun.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom